Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a small lump that I have noticed under my knee. It

I have a small lump that I have noticed under my knee. It is located just under the knee cap where the shin bone starts. When a person bends their knee there is a bone that sticks out under the kneecap...it is on the top tip of that bone where the lump is located. It has been sore on and off for while, but I don't notice it otherwise so I don't know how long it has been there. Is this something normal or should I get it checked? (FYI..I have a diagnosed osteochondroma (sp) just above my kneecap on the same leg).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Does this hurt or is it just that you have noticed it?? If it hurts then certainly have it chrcked. It sounds that you may be describing the effect if a joint effusion. This is increased synovial fluid within the knee joint. This may be caused by inflammation due to knee injuries of different types. Your description sounds to me to be due to an effusion effect but this is my best speculation without being able to examine your knee of course. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know of you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was very, very uncomfortable all winter and that is when I noticed it. It is a lot better now but I can't really bend down on that knee because it aggravates it. I have never had a knee injury...could it be the result of the osteochondroma above my knee. It is about the 1/2 the size of a ping pong ball and very close to hitting my knee cap when I straighten my knee. It aches sometimes but the doc says it is OK unless it grows.

Hello again,

Well the location as you describe it sounds distinct from where you describe the osteochondoma. If it is related to a knee injury this does not have to be a specific TIME that you know of being injured... it could be wear and tear such as wear of the menisci or chondromalacia... it does not have to be any single bad injury...

If this has a fluid feel to it then it sounds probably due to an effusion collection. If it feel solid in nature then it would be something else.

It does sound best for you to have it examined by your orthopedist however. It sounds that it is more than just a transient type of thing so I feel that you should have this checked further.

I hope this is helpful to you! Let me know if I may be of further help! Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a small solid lump.

Hi again,

Oh OK. Then that does not sound like an effusion. I wonder if it may be another osteochondroma. I would have the orthopedist check this out. I suspect that at the very least you need an exam and a CT or MRI of the knee may be needed to aid in the diagnosis.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you! Let me know if I may be of further help. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice