Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I noticed a cut on my penis today. I wasnt sure what it was

I noticed a cut on my penis today. I wasn't sure what it was from so i put hydrogen peroxide to be safe. When i did this it turned the surface area all white. Is this normal? I looked up herpes but it doesn't appear to be in cluster or a blister. Is this herpes?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Extremely unlikely to be herpes.

Also whenever you put hydrogen peroxide on any open sore or an ulcer or an area where there is breech in skin, the surface will turn white because hydrogen peroxide is base chemically and it will slough out the necrotic or dead tissue/cells from any surface.

You should not put this again over the surface, rather use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin and monitor this closely over next few days. This can be due to un-noticed trauma during sexual intercourse or friction rub from garments.

However, you can not absolutely rule out herpes at this point, because one can have herpes even if he/she does not have any lesions, so to be absolutely sure about this, you need to get tested for herpes.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The surface and under the skin turned white. I cleaned the surface but under the skin remained white. Now its all red under the skin.If you put hydrogen peroxide on herpes what would happen?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Same is expected to happen if you put it on any sore whether it is from herpes or from other infection or even from trauma.

Since the area is sensitive, you should not use it any further because hydrogen peroxide is in general reserved for infected ulcers/surfaces with lot of slough (dead/necrotic debris) in it.

Bacitracin is a more logical choice right now.

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities