DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I was recently DX with CKF, stage 3.

I was recently DX with CKF, stage 3. Went to have duplex renal u/s. On arrival I was in shock. (BP50/30, P40 )IV's started and taken to hospital by ambulance. I have never experienced anything like this before. On arrival my GFR was 16 and other abnormal labs(BUN=51, Creat= 2.9,hct=32 etc. IN ER I had multiple PVC's as in bigemeny, trigemeny, quadrigemeny and some runs ofd 2-3 PVC "S in a row. No hx of PVC's. Seeing cardiologist today. Discharged with dx of dehydration, uremia and unifocal PVC's. Yesterday I received a copy of labs drawn last Friday. Concerning! Why would I have a lipase of 503? Some other abnormals and I have a call in to my PCP. Haven't heard from him yet. XXXXXX XXXXXX R.N.

DrThomasMd :

Hello from ja

DrThomasMd :

Lipase is fairly specific to pancreatic inflammation,

DrThomasMd :

This would not be surprising

DrThomasMd :

I do not see you on line

DrThomasMd :

I will change the format to q and a

OK

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

Lipase is pretty specific to pancreatic inflammation, either from pancreatic disease, or from inflammation of the pancrease from other illness or from medications.

This degree of elevation is actually pretty non specific as to what inflamed the pancrease, and this could be any medication you had, just about.

I would simply have this level repeated.

I would also seek an underlying diagnosis for your renal failure, which is clearly the larger issue at this point in tine.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was my 1st encounter with a nephrologist as my PCP did not inform me of

the elevated GFR. This seems very drastic for a new dx and have only seen the nephrologist once but have a 2nd appt. next week.

Why would I have gone into shock at home?

I have no sxs of pancreatitis as I had it before my cholecystectomy-remote

Would you seek a 2nd opinion at Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston?

I live 30 minutes away from the Brigham.

Jeannie R.N.

I would follow up with the nephrologist.
It is low GFR that is the problem
GFR should be over 60

This sounds like you had acute renal failure which can put you into shock.

The question is what caused it....

You should be having follow up testing and diagnoses.

If you don't get anywhere, yes a second opinion.