Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

What could be causing my constant post nasal drip which results

What could be causing my constant post nasal drip which results in clear mucus, coughing and constant throat clearing. These symptoms also seem to be related to a tightness in my back. I have asthma but it's not debilitating. Thanks for your answer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT - would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

have you seen a doctor for this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

any tests done like Xray of the sinuses?

Customer:

yes, including pulmonologists

Dr. P Jyoti :

have you done Xray of the sinuses?

Customer:

don't think so

Dr. P Jyoti :

the most common cause of post nasal drip is a sinus infection

Customer:

are there other symptoms from a sinus infection? I don't have any fever.

Dr. P Jyoti :

since you are already known to have allergies, it is likely that you are having a sinus infection or inflammation

Dr. P Jyoti :

more severe cases would cause fever, pain, etc

Customer:

are the other symptoms such as throat clearing and coughing because of the post nasal drip

Dr. P Jyoti :

but in case it is mild, and allergic as in your case, the only symptoms would be post nasal discharge and a feeling of heavines in sinus areas

Dr. P Jyoti :

along with occassional nose block

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, coughing and throat clearing are very much a part of this

Dr. P Jyoti :

in such allergies, sinus polyps can also occur

Customer:

with the claritan, i actually don't have much nose block or runny nose

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would advise you to see an ENT for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, the claritin will keep the nose clear

Dr. P Jyoti :

but it will not be sufficient to clear up the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

see an ENT specialist for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask about sinusitis

Customer:

i saw an ent as well and he didn't find any infection but that was a few weeks ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, but since you are having this problem now ask for a CT of the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will give an accurate diagnosis

Customer:

do i need an x ray for that or will he be able to diagnose without one?

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, ask for an Xray or CT scan

Dr. P Jyoti :

CT is better

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is difficult to diagnose sinusitis in mild cases by only clinical examination

Dr. P Jyoti :

though severe cases are clear cut

Dr. P Jyoti :

so ask for Xray or CT

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

ok thx

Customer:

no. thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.