Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

hi,dr. david. you may recall my question re mr sore throat

hi,dr. david. you may recall my question re mr sore throat and neck exam. i called my ENT's office for additional nfo. the nodule in question is ON the thyroid. a scope wa spur down my throat to the bas elf the neck and nothing else was found. he didn't see evidence of acid reflux although i do hav sit as a condition. but i still have the sore throat. what might be going on here? thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hello Dr David is offline. I am an ENT. Would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello are you there?

Hello Marc,

I have gone through your earlier questions.

So the problem is a nodule on the thyroid, thats a thryoid nodule.

It is good that your doctor is arranging a fine needle study on this. This is important specially in males to see what type of thyroid nodule this is. The needle biopsy will ascertain this.

The sore throat is not actually related to this. Important causes like cancers for example are ruled out with the scope. Could be something like a throat infection. Could be the acid reflux also. Ask your doctor about a throat swab culture and sensitivity.

You need to wait now for the needle biopsy results. Use warm saline gurgles for the throat and suck hard logenges. Also take something OTC like Prilosec for acid reflux.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating. Bonuses are always welcome.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am online

I am glad you talked to your doctor and found out about where they are going to be doing the fine needle aspiration of the thyroid nodule.

if you do have acid reflux as a condition, even if your ENT doctor did not see evidence of acid damage in your throat, acid could still be coming up and causing irritation and inflammation and sore throat. you might need stronger antacids to block the stomach acid from coming up.

are you on any strong stomach acid blocking medications like nexium or protonix?

you might need to change your diet to avoid foods which worsen stomach acid such as spicy foods, vinegar, alcohol, carbonated sodas, fried foods, oily foods, to help decrease stomach acid.

have you changed your diet to help decrease stomach acid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. i'm not on any particular antacid medication right now

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you might want to talk to your doctor about this as an option since you have a history of acid reflux.

you also might benefit from testing to check for H Pylori bacterial infection in your stomach which can worsen acid reflux.

talk to your doctors about antacids you can use to possibly help neutralize stomach acid, or acid blockers like zantac or pepcid or prilosec which you can use for short periods of time to see if it helps your sore throat. if they work, then you know that it was indeed acid reflux which caused your sore throat.

good luck with the thyroid nodule fine needle aspiration biopsy.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had a test for for h pylori and it was neg. but that was back in 2010. could acid reflux cause that much of a chronic sore throat?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
if your acid reflux symptoms are worse now, you will want to repeat that H Pylori test again.

yes, long term acid reflux over time can cause bad sore throat.

the acid sneaks up the esophagus, usually at night time when you sleep and when the acid gets up to the throat, it just sits there all night irritating the throat. sometimes when you wake up, you can have horrible breath or sore taste in your mouth.

some people end up sleeping sitting up the acid reflux is so bad at night, just to keep the stomach acid down in the stomach.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.