Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

what are causes of volatile (incontience) diarhea?

Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Have you undergone any tests so far like colonscopy?
Ever blood in stool?
Is there any other known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no blood in stool ever....though lots of mucus....have not had a colonscopy and am resistant to that....have a long history of gluten intolerance which has gotten worse....had lots of surgeries.....TB treated 10 years ago with mega antibotics for 18 alternative MD type suggested that my digestive track damaged by all that and no good flora for processing. I have high blood pressure controlled. Am very active for my age and last year clinically ciagnosed with Lyme's disease....treated well and saw expert....assured me i was not going to have chronic version as tick bite there and visible.....also have age related arthritis etc. etc. etc. But the intestines are the worse!

Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you have described can be due to a disorder called colitis.It is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine (colon).There are a variety of causes of colitis including infections, poor blood supply and autoimmune reactions.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Inflammatory bowel disease(IBD).It includes two chronic diseases that cause inflammation of the intestines: ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease.

Another possibility is of anal incontinence.Its most common causes are:Severe diarrhea,Stress,Damage to the nerves that control the anal muscle, reduction in the elasticity of the rectum, Inflammatory bowel disease.It is more common in elderly age as the there is reduction in the elasticity of the rectum.

You need following tests:

-Anal manometry,
-Stool examination
-Computerized tomography(CT scan) and barium enema

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your gastro doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi Mary,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted the doctor?
What tests were done?
What is the final diagnosis made?

Let me know,