Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I had a colon resection in January to remove 75% and it went

Customer Question

I had a colon resection in January to remove 75% and it went well. A real success and I didn't have to have a colostomy. Ive recovered well with some bumps in the road... but all has been very well and for the first time in 14 years I had no constant left lower quadrant abdominal pain. Yippee. Now I''ve got a question. Saturday I began having very painful intestinal cramping again... a 8 on the pain scale for me. I do have SLE and my GI system is its favorite stomping grounds.... and I had been flaring. But Monday night I awoke with very painful intestinal stabbing pain and lower colon pain. It continued thru Tuesday but was intermittant and less frequent. I feel pretty sick now. I developed very loose stools (common for me with a GI flare) but now I have the very same "fullness" pain and discomfort I had before when I would have diverticulitis... and the discomfort is continual. It hurts to walk.... as before.. because it feels like it will blow up inside... its a fullness like it hurts in the lower abdominal colon area just like before and I have to walk very gingerly.... any movement disturbs it and its like you have a water balloon and it gets jostled when you walk so I walk carefully and bent over. It is exactly like I had before when I would have a diverticulitis episode. Is it actually possible that diverticula have developed in this remaining good section of colon so soon after surgery?? My diverticula were thought to probably have formed due to past recurrent bowel obstructions over and over again and impactions from years ago when the sle was attacking my intestines and colon a lot. But since the surgery and finally recovering from it... (it took almost 3 months due to the years of imuran and prednisone which we did discontinue months prior to the surgery and for three months after to help my chances of the surgery being a success and not leaking). Since the surgery, Ive had bouts of very loose stools most of the time.... and just deal with it. Ive even had bouts where I have "accidents" unknowingly.... but that has minimized as the months have passed and only happens a few times a month and I can deal with that. My worry is: Can it be possible that I have yet another case of diverticulitis again??? Im so very hurting and feel sick just like before so I will probably end up visiting the ER in the morning and getting a CT to see if that is the problem. But, I wanted to know if it really would be possible to have already developed diverticulitis so soon after the surgery.... and they took out all the badly diseased colon and I was only left with a little bit... but enough to function without a colostomy whic I did not want to have if at all possible... thus I risked having a surgical failure to try and come out of it with a functioning colon... which I pretty much do with some "occasional leakages" as I call it and loose stools most of the time. Would appreciate an opinion as to the possibility. It sure feels exactly the same.... and im broken hearted that it might have returned.... because I eat such a high fiber diet and drink a lot of fluids daily.... ive never eaten the typical western diet... as I was brought up in Hawaii and adopted the asian diet and continued to prefer it. But, stranger things have happened. And sle is always a culprit for me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

No, diverticulosis would not have happened so fast, in just 6 months.

This would be the SLE and not diverticulosis or diverticulitis.

Take the steroids, this is sure to give you relief.

The symptoms may feel the same, but in part it may be 'expectation bias' - you are dreading the symptoms and that is why you are matching broadly similar symptoms to your old symptoms.

But dont worry, this is not diverticulosis all over again.

Hope this reassures you.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Glad to know its not possible for diverticulosis to have recurred. I hadn't known I'd had diverticulosis for all the time I obviously had.... because we had always assumed the symptoms were from the SLE attacking the GI track like always. So by the time I was diagnosed with diverticulosis... it was well advanced. So yes, the SLE with GI attack is much the same with symptoms... until I had blood in the stools and rectal bleeding which sent me to the ER which found the problem and its advanced stage. Glad and relieved now.... I won't bother going to the ER today. Hate going and only will when its horrible for me. So, knowing its SLE will allow me to go ahead and increase my prednisone accordingly and have rest till it subsides. Thank you for letting me know. We were concerned we were back where we started again.

THats right.

WIsh you a quick recovery.

Glad my answer has been able to reassure you.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wanted to follow up and let you know that when my rheumatologist looked at me, she found that she agreed and it was the GI flare that was causing the same symptoms. Which is why i didn't know i had diverticulosis for years since i thought the symptoms i had been having were the same gastroparesis/gi flare stuff..... and it wasn't . actually it was either at any certain time but the symptoms were similar.

this time my sed rate was high, i ended up with the red rash all over my face, arms, and torso as uusual with a flare, and the gi stuff was the lupus related flare junk. so I wanted to let you know that you were dead on target and i appreciate it that you let me know that it was way too soon for the disease to have recurred already. thanks so much! and, extra prednisone turned things around in four days and I was back involved with life again and off the couch.

Hello Sue,

I am happy I was able to give you the correct opinion.

Remember to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

i would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.