Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello, I had a wart outbreak several years ago. They

Hello, I had a genital wart outbreak several years ago. They were frozen off by the doctor. I am in good health and have not had any recurring symptoms. Is is possible that I could still pass the virus to a future partner? Thank you.
I can appreciate your concern.
But it is not known how long a person remains contagious after the warts have been treated.
Most persons will have cleared off the virus within a year or so.
Also, virus transmission typically occurs when warts are present and are rare when absent.
So, considering all factors, there is very little chance that you will be transmitting the virus now, since several years have passed since the outbreak.
But since all things about the virus are still not known, this is not an absolute certainty.
That is the best estimate of present scientific knowledge.
My advise would be not to worry about it, there is very little chance of transmission now.
I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr. P Jyoti,Thank you so much for your quick response. I have read information like this on the the web before. I'm sure you can appreciate that not having concrete information is frustrating.Given the circumstances, do you believe it is obligatory to discuss this prior to engaging in sexual activity? How would you handle this situation?Thank you.
That is really a personal decision and depends ultimately on the dynamics of the relationship.
People have been known, in rare cases, to carry the virus throughout their lives and cause transmission years later.
This is an unlikely scenario though.
Best would be to discuss it with your partner and inform her of the very low chance. Also genital warts are not really dangerous in any way and have no relation to the cancer causing strain of HPV, so it is not so important.
For myself, this is what I would do.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem.
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.