Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a question regarding AST/ALT test results from a recent

I have a question regarding AST/ALT test results from a recent LFT. My AST is 35 and ALT is 21, both in normal range. I read where a 2/1 ratio AST over ALT may indicate liver disease. But I read that ratio only applies to elevated AST and ALT levels. Is this correct? And if so in the normal range isn't a concern?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right

Dr. P Jyoti :

within the normal range there is no concern at all

Dr. P Jyoti :

dont be worried about this, since its in the normal range you dont have to worry

Dr. P Jyoti :

perfectly fine results

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Yes one, just out of curiosity.

Dr. P Jyoti :

in any case, your ratio is less than 1, which is normal.

Dr. P Jyoti :

AST is 35 and ALT is 21, which makes your ratio less than 2

Dr. P Jyoti :

i meant 2, sorry

Customer:

My ratio is less than 2, is that what you are saying?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes thats right, i meant less than 2

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have any known liver problems?

Customer:

Last year this time my numbers were AST 31 and ALT 21. Do these numbers fluctuate within the normal range or is the difference from last year 31/21 to this year 35/21 significant in any way?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, they fluctuate

Dr. P Jyoti :

no significance at all, they were normal last year and they are normal this year

Dr. P Jyoti :

the ration applies only when the enzymes are elevated

Customer:

So in a snap shot of liver "functon" using enzymes, Albumin, Globulin, Bilibrubin ans ALP we have a pretty good idea of the liver being normal?

Customer:

Seeing that the results are all normal, that is.

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, thats right, with everything done you can be quite certain that liver function is normal

Dr. P Jyoti :

one other test that will absolutely confirm it is an Ultrasound of the liver

Dr. P Jyoti :

get this done also to be absolutely sure - some small effects like fatty liver may not cause any biochemical change but will show up on ultrasound

Customer:

Is this something that is recommended for patients with normal results a year apart?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Yes, an annual checkup for those over 50 should include an Ultrasound of the abdomen.

Customer:

Fatty liver is treatable?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, treatable with diet changes and exercise, it is reversible

Dr. P Jyoti :

needed specially if you take moderate to high levels of alcohol

Dr. P Jyoti :

or have high cholesterol, etc

Customer:

With normal results over 11 month period (3 tests) any reason to concerned about significant liver damage?

Dr. P Jyoti :

not at all, as I said

Dr. P Jyoti :

the normal results mean that you do not have any liver damage

Dr. P Jyoti :

i mentioned the ultrasound only as a precautionary measure, so that you can be aware if there is any possibility in the future

Customer:

My cholesterol was 238 now 216. Abstaining from alcohol and I am now may improve that number (along with exercise and diet)?

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats great

Dr. P Jyoti :

continue with that

Dr. P Jyoti :

then there is less chance of fatty liver also

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer:

Thank you. You have been very helpful.