Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Today I tried to make a bowel movement and it became stuck.

Customer Question

Today I tried to make a bowel movement and it became stuck. I used toilet paper to get rid of the stool. My stool was gray colored and wet clay-like. I was unable to move my bowels after that. Yesterday, I had a solid bowel movement, however the color was grayish brown. This is not normal for me, I usually have diarrhea instead of constipation. I do have IBS and I do take a probiotic everyday which has helped the diarrhea immensely. I looked up clay like stools on the internet and what I found has scared me. I do not have a gallbladder. Last week and two days this week including yesterday, I noticed a swollen feeling, but no pain, in my RUQ where my gallbladder used to be while laying face down on a raft in our pool. Now today I feel swelling and hardness while just sitting normally. My question to you is: Would I be able to take some Miralax now and call my GI doctor in the AM? Also, with the clay like stools would Miralax hurt me in anyway. I would really like to make a BM because I am really uncomfortable right now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

I understand your concern.

Mysticdoc :

Constipation is possible occasionally with IBS.

Mysticdoc :

In fact, diarrhea and constipation can alternate sometimes.

Mysticdoc :

There is no blood in the stool--so not concerning.

Mysticdoc :

Clay colored stool can be seen with constipation.

Mysticdoc :

Miralax can be taken to relieve constipation without any problem.

Mysticdoc :

Then you should discuss with your GI specialist for a colonoscopy if needed on case constipation does not resolve with miralax.

Mysticdoc :

Increasing the dietary fibers along with fluids will also help.

Mysticdoc :

So far this does not sound concerning.

Customer :

Okay. Should I take regular dosage of Miralax? And watch my stools for the next few days and then contact my doctor if it stays the same? The RUQ pain can also happen with constipation, no?

Mysticdoc :

yes you should take the regular dosage

Mysticdoc :

the RUQ pain is also expected with constipation.

Customer :

Okay. Thank you very much for you time and knowledge.

Mysticdoc :

If no improvement in next few days, then you should see your doctor.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

This is a change in bowel habits for you. We know nothing about you. If you have any colon cancer in the family, then colonoscopy is mandatory, not optional.

Clay colored stool with sensations in the right upper quadrant mandate liver function tests and an ultrasound...one can have stones in the common duct.

For some reason, bile might not be getting through effectively.

So, do not forgo seeing your doctor, even if symptoms clear up for now with miralax.