Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

my son who is age 15 was diagnosed 4 months ago at age 14 with

my son who is age 15 was diagnosed 4 months ago at age 14 with Klinefelters during a routine physical. We had karyotype and all done to confirm. He is 6'1" and 194 and endocrinologist wants him to lose weight and he is on androgel. I am terrified of what I read. He is in all honors classes in high school and has all a's and a few b's. I am worried about diabetes and cancers and they say they are more common with klinefelters. He goes in for follow up blood work the end of July. I have hired a personal trainer for him and I am just beside myself. He does not know what he has he knows he has an endocrine problem but not the name or that he cant have children under advisement of pediatrician. I worry so much about what he could face and if we are doing the right thing with treatment. His testosterone level was 39. Please any help .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

It sounds like you have done an excellent job of getting your son the workup and treatment he needs.

RickMD :

What questions do you have at this point that I can help you with today? Are you looking for a medical/social team to help you son to better understand Klinefelters syndrome and how this may impact his life in the future?

Customer:

I am so worried as I read an article that men with klinefelters develp cancer more often and are more prone to diabetes and other auto immune diseases

Customer:

I have not told my son it is klinefelters just an endocrine problem and he needs testosterone

RickMD :

while that may be true it is not a give that your son will come down with any of these medical problems.

Customer:

my pediatrician agreed at this time it is too much for him. He has no social problems or learning problems

RickMD :

Do you believe your son is mature enough to understand kleinfelters and want to know what he has?

RickMD :

Do to his different physical stature he may be open to teasing from hi peers...it might be helpful for him to know what is going on with his body.

Customer:

no I think he is fine knowing what he knows right now. I am terrified that he will have problems . He is 6'1 and 194 and I am trying to help him lose weight and its hard because he is a kid. He does have gynomastia

RickMD :

Have you explored kleinfelters syndrome support groups, both online and in person at this point?

Customer:

other than that he looks fine. He doesn't look overweight

Customer:

I have but I hear trans gender talk and all and depression and he is not depressed and seems normal so

Customer:

I don't want to introduce crazy things to him

RickMD :

Ok. Well, then I would have a discussion with your son about his condition, the physical effects it has on his body, go over web sites together etc.

RickMD :

These are excellent online sources of information:

Customer:

ok thanks... do you know if there lifespan is shorter

RickMD :

That is an excellent question and lifespan depends on many factors

Customer:

I am under the impression you are an eye doctor and I was hoping an endocrinologist would answer

RickMD :

Some research has shown a decreased life span but followup work did not confirm this

RickMD :

The primary cause of early death is problems with the aortic valve, so these things are watched for....in any event the best studies available have only shown, maybe, 5 years less life span....

RickMD :

Which, in the scheme of things is not much. It is not like he is gonna die by 35 etc. But, as a father of 5 kids myself I can fully understand your concern.

RickMD :

While I am an eye doctor I have a cousin who has kleinfelters so, just by luck, I know a lot about this condition...I've been my Aunt's "go to guy" for help during my Cousins life.

Customer:

how is he ...has he had a normal sexual life. I worry about that too. Will he be able to perform

RickMD :

But, if you would rather talk to a board certified endocrinologist I can opt out and open your question back up to other experts.

Customer:

is he married?

RickMD :

Yes, he should be able to have normal sexual relationships although due to small testicle size, his sperm may not work well to conceive. My cousin is happily married to a woman.

Customer:

thank you

RickMD :

My pleasure. I wish you and your son the very best.

Customer:

how old is your cousin and does he take testosterone

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

He is 32; yes he does; They adopted a boy and a girl a few years back. My cousin did have problems with his aortic arch that was fixed with a gortex graft. He also had retina issues which I am following closely but have not caused any significant vision loss

Customer:

do you suggest a cariac work up at the age of 15

Customer:

cardiac

RickMD :

That, I have to admit, I don't know. :(

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

RickMD :

I'd ask his doctor......sorry about that

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC