Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My 22 yo dtr is 7 wks preg, and has scheduled an abortion at

Customer Question

My 22 yo dtr is 7 wks preg, and has scheduled an abortion at Planned Parenthood for next Monday. She also has a mild form of epilepsy, diagnosed 10 months ago. She has had 3 seizures in the past year, the last one March 18, 2013, the one before that Sept 3, 2012 and the first one Feb 2012. She was started on A minimal dose of Keppra 500mg last Sept, then switched to Lamectal in October 2012 bc the Keppra made her very irritable. She has only had the one seizure since, and she thinks it was due to being stressed out at work, and drinking too much on St Patricks Day (she was told that alcohol lowers the effectiveness of the medication). The clinic website said that if you have epilepsy you have to go to the hospital for the Ab. She doesn't want to do that, she wants to go to Planned Parenthood. She says she's not going to tell them about the epilepsy bc she feels like it is insignificant. Is this ok to do? I looked up the two meds that are used for Abortion to see if there is a bad interaction, but there were none. I think she should be fine. Do you agree?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

No, this will not be safe to do.

Epilepsy is quite unpredictable.

Your daughter may be having only a mild form, but the medicines that she will be given will change her hormonal balance, and can cause an epileptic fit, even severe.

It is not at all advisable to go ahead with this at the planned parenthood. Safest is to go to the hospital. There they may not give medicines but may do it through a small procedure called D&C.

Take care - be safe and go to the hospital - do not let her take this risk.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your daughter.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I will discuss this serious situation with her tonight.

Glad to help.

Hope she takes the right decision.

Remember to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.