Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Can accidentally breathing in urine and bleach fumes cause

Can accidentally breathing in urine and bleach fumes cause a false positive on a blood test?

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

What is the blood test that you are concerned might come back as a false positive?

RickMD :

How long before the test would you have breathed in the fumes?

RickMD :

How much fumes do you think you inhaled?

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

RickMD : Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
RickMD : What is the blood test that you are concerned might come back as a false positive?
RickMD : How long before the test would you have breathed in the fumes?
RickMD : How much fumes do you think you inhaled?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife was in our upstairs bathroom for appx ten mins. I had put bleach in a clogged toilet that I was having trouble plunging earlier in the day. She ended up in the ER frpm a seizure later that day. She never had one before. They did a blood ttest and said she had very low potassium. Also that there was PCP in her system. We don't use illicit drugs.????

Steve,

Breathing in the fumes from trying to clear a plugged toilet would not cause her blood tests for potassium.

It sounds like your wife had a blood test for drugs, not a urine test. In blood tests things are more accurate, however, false positives can occur. While I do not believe that breathing in the urine/chlorine fumes would lead to a false positive PCP blood test I can tell you that any positive tests found on routine drug screenings are confirmed by MS/HPLC testing.

These follow-up tests are very, very accurate and would confirm that the first PCP test result was false.

So. What is the take home message? You shouldn't worry about this blood test result. It will not be held against your wife without confirmation by the above, sensitive and specific, re-testing.

Dose this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS