Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am bipolar 1 effectively stabilised OKMH623100

I am bipolar 1 effectively stabilised and functioning normally for the last 18 years. However, I found it beneficial to be on one mood stabiliser and one atypical antipsychotic. Eight months back I changed valproate in favor of eslicarbamazepine. The principal reason for changing over was valproate induced substantial weight gain . However eslicarbamazepine does the same in my case though the literature says that the average weight gain is insignificant. I am left with two choices - lamotrigine and oxcarbamazepine. The literature on both say weight gain is insignificant. In addition, are there any other drugs I could consider trying out ? I have had good results as far as the quality of the mood is concerned with Invega Sustenna.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Another drug, though with a slightly different profile, that you should consider is Bupropion (Wellbutrin).

It is an atypical antidepressant.

It is often used in bipolar as an adjunct therapy.

It is known for not causing any weight gain and hence would be very helpful for you if your doctor feels you can be maintained on this along with other medicines for your bipolar.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My history is mainly one of hypomania episodes. Could you suggest a drug for such a profile. Of the two - lamotrigine or oxcarbazepine - which one should I try out first?

Hypomania would respond well with Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant.

I would advise you to try Lamotrigine first. It is considered more effective than oxcarbazapine, though patient variability differs.

A combination of Lamotrigine with Wellbutrin should work well for you both in stabilizing your moods and keeping you from depression.

Discuss this with your doctor who of course will take the final decisionn.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.