Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Can you become infected after accidentally swallowing an engorged

Can you become infected after accidentally swallowing an engorged black fly filled with HIV + blood? I was camping with my neighbour who has been HIV + for 9 years & two black flies were in my glass of orange juice at our campsite table early during breakfast & before I could stop myself I saw them but automatically took a drink & swallowed them. I am extremely afraid because I have had 3 wisdom teeth removed & there is blood still coming from the extraction sites.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence that someone could become infected by such a scenario. Honestly, I believe you have a much higher risk of being struck by lightening.

A number of scientific article have looked at the risk of HIV transmission from insects and concluded that this is not possible.

You also are assuming that these particular insects had bitten an HIV infected individual.

HOWEVER, since you are particularly concerned about this, having an HIV test now, and again in 6 months would put this to the test. A negative test in 6 months would be considered 100% definitive.

I hope this information has been helpful

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the fact that I have fresh blood in my mouth still draining from my teeth extractions pose any additional risk? I can't seem to get this thought out of my mind of the blood from the squeezed black fly going into my mouth & then into my open sores?

Thank you

I honestly would not worry about this episode as a possible route of HIV transmission. HIV is not as easily transmitted as most people believe.

The risk of HIV transmission following an accidental needle stick with a needle used on an HIV positive patient is only 30 in 10,000. A single episode of insertive penile-vaginal intercourse is only 5 in 10,000 (i.e. the risk of a male contracting HIV from having vaginal intercourse with an HIV positive female), and the risk of a male contracting HIV from receiving oral sex from an HIV positive partner is only 0.5 in 10,000.

Honestly - this incident with the insect is not something that would personally concern me if I were in your shoes.