Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can adderall affect someone who has asthma? What is the c

Customer Question

Can adderall affect someone who has asthma? What is the correlation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : No I would not expect Adderall to affect your asthma unless you had an allergy to it.
Anthony Bray MD : I have not experienced patients that had trouble with asthma and Adderall.
Anthony Bray MD : i hope this information helps! Let me know if you have futher questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Well, I am currently taking adderall 5 mg twice daily. I am a 26 year old male with a normal EKG and a normal Echo. Everytime i taek adderall i feel chest tingling and as i breathe i feel an increase need to cough. Once i cough, my chest no longer feels tingling. This happens only as i take the drug. Can you explain why I have this side effect??

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again,
Anthony Bray MD : well I do not think that this represents asthma . You may I'm part have anxiety related to this medication. That would be a common side effect. It may be that it induces some cough although it is not a common side effect with this medication in my experience.
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

how is anxiety linked to the cough

Customer:

and how do you describe anxiety?

Customer:

also, what alternatives are there for stimulant medications that do not have anxiety as a side effect?

Customer:

3 questions. thanks

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again,
Anthony Bray MD : Anxiety may not be the cause of your cough... Other causes possible... ACE inhibitors for example give a dry cough to ten percent of people because they raise a cytokines known as bradykinin...
Anthony Bray MD : most stimulant drugs would also increase anxiety...
Anthony Bray MD : is this for ADD??
Anthony Bray MD : Strattera may be a better potential source that would avoid anxiety as much...
Anthony Bray MD : other options are available...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions !
Anthony Bray MD : Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

This is for ADD

Customer:

I prefer to use a stimulant drug. What other options are there that are stimulants that might help avoid the side effect of a cough

Customer:

I do not understand the correlation between ACH inhibtors and adderall and myself, please explain

Anthony Bray MD : The ACE inhibitor is an example of a medication that commonly has a cough as a side effect.
Anthony Bray MD : other options that might be considered to your case( add) may include Ritailn and its many variants , Strattera and Wellbutin.
Customer:

oh okay.. I do not taek ace inhibor

Customer:

I feel this is due to anxiety

Customer:

Is the risk of anxiety as a side effect less with ritalin?

Anthony Bray MD : if on the other hand you took Adderall for narcolepsy then Provigil would be an alternative.
Customer:

No i take this for ADD, not narcoplepsy or ADHD. Just add

Anthony Bray MD : Yes the risk of anxiety is less than with Adderall( it is still a potential side effect however)
Customer:

okay thanks. what is the reason of less of a risk with Ritalin than with Adderall? I do not understand the two

Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Ritalin is not as potent if a stimulant. It is milder in effect and in side effects...
Customer:

the last question i have to the one above is how would you differnetiate the acting of the two drugs: Adderall and Ritalin. What are the differences you have seen in patients and what would you prefer for add as opposed to adhd.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. How can i tell what dose I should be on? I will see my doctor next week and currenlty i take 5mg once or twice daily. What should i feel like (please be detailed) when on the optimal dosing? SHould i feel more concentrated, should i feel more active, more subtle)? Please be as detailed as you can. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This should be the last major question i have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there?

Hello again,

Sorry but I have been offline. When the medicine is best titrated for you then you should be able to be more focused but hopefully not really feel that different. ( feeling different or abnormal would be side effects) you should hopefully feel more alert and perhaps a bit more energetic without adverse side effects such as nervous or shaky. Nausea and headaches are other potential side effects.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD