Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

After eating a high fat meal at dinner, I will awake from my

After eating a high fat meal at dinner, I will awake from my sleep from nausea following by bloating, vomiting, chills, hives from head to toe, a hard bowel movement followed by diarrhea, hands cramping, and feeling like I'm about to pass out. I have had these symptoms for years. I was diagnosed with IBS 20 years ago, but that has lessened with exercise and less stress. Could this be a gallbladder problem?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Did you ever have an endoscopy done?

How frequently do you get these episodes?

Have you lost weight?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an upper GI about a year ago and was diagnosed with non-corrosive acid reflux.

These episodes happen after I have consumed a high fat meal at dinner. I have been experiencing these episodes for years.

No, I have not lost weight and I am not over weight.

I exercise regularly and eat healthy.

Thank you very much for the useful information Amelia.

Okay.

Yes this could be related to gall bladder problem. Any obstruction to bile flow (such as stone or strictures) or reduced function of gall bladder can result in fat malabsorption which can give you abdominal cramps and diarrhoea.

Other than this, chronic pacreatitis (chronic inflammation of pancreas) can also give you similar symptoms typically after a fatty meal.

Then there are some other rare conditions of impaired fat metabolism which can give you these problems.

Glad to hear that your upper gastrointestinal endoscopy was normal, but do you know that at age of 50 you are due to have a colonoscopy? Its for screening against colon cancer (and a standard recommendation), so if not already done discuss this with your doctor.

You need tests for gall bladder such as ultrasound/HIDA scan as well as for pancreas (amylase/lipase) along with stool test for estimation of fat content.

If all these tests turn out to be normal, then yes we can attribute these symptoms to IBS, but its better to have this evaluated first in detail.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.