Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Hello - How can you tell if you have blood clot in your leg?

Customer Question

Hello - How can you tell if you have blood clot in your leg? What are the symptoms?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Well, some of the common symptoms associated with blood clot in leg are-

-Leg pain in one leg
-Leg tenderness in one leg
-Swelling of one leg
-Increased warmth in one leg
-Changes in skin color (redness) in one leg
-Leg fatigue

To make a diagnose, following tests should be done-

-X-rays to show veins (venography) in the legs
-Doppler ultrasound exam of a limb
-D-dimer blood test.

If you are over 60 years age, you smoke, you are overweight, you sit for long periods of time then you may be at risk for developing blood clot in leg.

Blood clot can interfere with blood flow, and it may break off and travel through the bloodstream .
The traveling blood clot can further lodge in the brain, lungs, heart, or other area, severely damaging that organ.

Also Half of patients don't have any symptoms.
If you have any such symptoms then please don't delay and get it checked in ER ASAP.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am 38 - does the pain travel? Also when I wake up it doesn't hurt. Also the pain is not constant. Would a blood clot cause constant pain? I don't have swelling or redness.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Well, Pain due to blood clot may radiate, this may be along the path of a vein and one may find it difficult to stand with your full weight on the affected leg.
The pain may be made worse by bending your foot upward towards your knee.
Blood clot associated pain, is usually constant with redness and swelling.

In the absence of swelling and redness in leg, i would not panic for any serious issue. At your age, and considering your symptoms, it doesn't looks to be related with blood clot.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It feels like a bubbling and spasms. I can put my weight on my leg no problem. Can standing for long periods of time (4 hours) cause this?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.

Well, It is clear that you don't have any major issue like blood clot.
Your present symptoms can occur with nerve pain or inflammation around the knee.
It is most likely a nerve related issue, and occur due to constant strain on leg muscles due to long periods of standing.

You should use a cold pack to relax tense muscles. After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if you have pain or tenderness, you can take a hot bath.

Also massaging the leg muscle would help in solving the problem.
You should gently stretch your leg and move your foot towards your knee, until you feel the calf muscles stretch.This will relax your leg muscles.
Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that you build on it gradually.You should avoid excess of alcohol,coffee, tobacco( if you use).

I wish for your good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pain came on suddenly Tuesday evening. I woke up with severe pain behind my left knee. Iis pain from. Blood clot severe and sudden?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I can understand your concern and worry for this issue.

Well, it sounds to be muscle spasm or a pinched nerve.
Pain associated with blood clot is continuous and severe in nature.
It is always associated with swelling and redness.

Blood clot associated pain doesn't come all of sudden. Please don't worry for blood clot.
You can take painkiller like Tylenol and use a cold pack to relax tense muscles.
Please don't take stress for getting blood clot.
I wish for your good health.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking on me! The pain has subsided but it still sometimes tenses up and I feel a bubbling / popping sensation. I am traveling on Thursday- should I go see about it. I read online stories of people who didn't have pain or swelling.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, Thanks for coming back to justanswer.com

I can understand your concern. Good to hear that pain has already subsided.
Yes, mild pain may continue occasionally. No need to get panic.
Most likely you would be free from symptoms in next few days.

As such, you can safely wait. No need to take stress for any serious issue.