Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi Im trying to discern what is wrong with me. Here I shall

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to discern what is wrong with me. Here I shall list the symptoms I've had over the last 4 days:

Tuesday: Abdominal pain and stomach cramping, yellow coloured slightly runny stool around midday, several darker coloured and runnier stools towards the end of the day - diarrhea.

Wednesday: Abdominal pain and stomach cramps more or less subsided, only mild intestinal nagging. Continued diarrhea with black and/or dark green stools until the late afternoon wherein stools turned yellow again (but still sludgy and smelly).

Thursday: Woke in the morning with a headache and aching limbs, and most prominently a pain down the very middle of my chest, raised temperature and forehead and chest warm to the touch, took paracetamol and reacted well, temperature returned to normal and chest pain subsided. Had only one stool during the day - around mid afternoon very small and yellow.

Friday (today): Woke in the morning with slight headache and the pain down the middle of the chest (even worse than on thursday). Took paracetamol and the pain has now subsided. stomach feels tender but not painful. Had a stool about 2 hours ago which was brown but runny and sludgy and had black dots.

My diet for these past 4 days of illness has been the occasional apple, banana or piece of toast, been drinking several pints of water a day. In short it has been bad diarrhea for tuesday and wednesday, and chest pain (with no coughing or wheezing) for thursday and friday. Looking forward to hearing what a doctor has to say!

Thankyou for you time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

You are probably having an episode of viral gastroenteritis.

This usually clears up in two or three days.

It can cause viral fever like symptoms and that explains your headaches, etc.

The pain in the chest sounds like acid dyspepsia - antacids like Mylanta two tsf thrice daily and Cap Prilosec one cap daily (both OTC) will help in this.

Take care to have a lot of fluids as it is important to be well hydrated to recover quickly.

If symptoms become more severe or you develop any new symptoms or these symptoms persist beyond a week, see your doctor.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thankyou for your quick reply!

I think you are most likely quite correct about it being viral gastroenteritis with dyspepsia. I read a few other articles from people with similar symptoms and those came to the same conclusion.

Naturally I'm just worried, is there anything else it could be? And this may seem like an absurd question but would you recommend that I do not go into work tomorrow?

Thanks again.

No it wouldnt be anything else.

Dont worry, its likely to be that and nothing else.

You can go to work tomorrow buut be sure to keep yourself well hydrated and drink a lot of fluids during work also.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! Thanks again for your help, this has really put me at ease.

Glad to help.

Remember to come back here if you have any other questions, I and other experts on the site are always ready to help you.

You can always request for me directly or begin your question with "for Dr. P. Jyoti", I will be very happy to be requested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to bother you again Dr. p.

I was just wondering what foodstuffs do you recommend that i eat whilst I'm still recovering? Now that I'm on day four of this illness I'm starting to regain an appetite but I want to be careful not to eat anything that would aggravate the virus.

Thanks again.

The BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended for this.

And of course you can ask questions as long as you want.