Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am 24 years old. I fought symptoms of nearly passing out

I am 24 years old. I fought symptoms of nearly passing out while I would be chewing or swallowing food from the time I was 12 years old. When this would happen i could feel the "episide" coming, meaning i would start to feel dizzy. once the episide has started, usually during chewing and/or swallowing, my symptoms were: my vision would go black, i could hear everything around me, my body would slump over, i felt like i was in outer space. I have gone completely unconscious 2 times. I finally found a cardiologist after going to my pcp for years with these symptoms with no result. I was given a holter monitor and was not able to catch any of the more severe episodes. They did however catch a 6 second pause in my heart beat that I didn't feel. I was diagnose with incomplete heart block when I was 21 and treated with a pace maker. My question is this: do I have swallow syncope?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer: Yes.
Dr. P Jyoti :

hello have you discussed this problem with swallowing with your cardiologist?

Customer: I guess my question is is that my cardiologist said he doesn't really know why my heart has this issue.
Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, many things about the heart and about vasovagal reactions are still unknown

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have a permanent pacemaker?

Customer: Yes but he didn't investigate it once he saw the 6 second pause. I didn't feel it at all so when I was experience sx, what was happening?
Customer: Yes it is permanent.
Dr. P Jyoti :

you are likely to be right that you are having swallowing syncope

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is a rare entity and that is why not much is known about this

Dr. P Jyoti :

permanent pacemaker is the treatment for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is good that you have already been given this, you are hence not in any critical danger

Dr. P Jyoti :

swallowing syncope is a vasovagal reflex

Dr. P Jyoti :

the vagus nerve is the main nerve of our sympathetic nervous system

Dr. P Jyoti :

it connects a whole lot of our internal organs, like the heart, intestines, swallowing muscles, blood vessels, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

sometimes something in one organ can trigger a response in another, for example there is also coughing syncope, defecation syncope

Dr. P Jyoti :

in this coughing causes stopping of the heart

Dr. P Jyoti :

similarly swallowing can cause stopping of the heart, called swallowing syncope

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is likely to be your diagnosis

Dr. P Jyoti :

but as you have already been treated by permanent pacemaker you have received adequate treatment for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

your heart will not stop and will be continued by the pacemaker

Dr. P Jyoti :

so you do not have to worry about this

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: Is something like that hereditary? I have a young son
Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, its not heriditary

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: No thank you
Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.