Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

Hi doctor, I have had a cold for a little over a week now and

Hi doctor, I have had a cold for a little over a week now and the main symptom is a bad cough. It's been persistent throughout the past week and I'm kind of wheezing a bit as well. Is this just a common cold or could it be something else? I do normally
get a "wheezing" kind of cough when I am sick. My throat is starting to feel sore as well, and there was one night where it hurt pretty bad (hurt to swallow, talk) but the pain went away after gargling my throat w/ salt water and a night of sleep.
Your illness certainly could be either due to a viral infection( or cold in other words) or possibly bacterial in nature . We look for clues as to the pattern of illness. If your illness is going beyond a week with increased symptoms such as increased cough, worse sore throat or sinus symptoms or fever then that pattern would more suggest a bacterial type pattern. As you are describing your illness it sounds that you are somewhat on the fence in this sense of judgement . Your symptoms are at a week but it sounds that the sore throat has been getting better. You still have the cough but this may last beyond a week with a viral illness. If your pattern shows less severity then I think you are ok to watch and wait further for improvement. If you have any worsening in the severity of cough( such as it waking you up at night or causing pain) then in this case see your doctor for further evaluation. A pattern if worsening at this point would be the main factor as determining probae benefit to the use of an antibiotic!
I hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you ! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive fed ack. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD