Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Mother, terminal bone cancer. Just started morphine, what

Mother, terminal bone cancer.
Just started morphine, what is good indication of additional pain not disclosed by person.

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Increased heart rate, increased breathing, elevated blood pressure are all signs of pain.

RickMD :

Also, she might move slowly, grimace when she moves, etc if she is having pain that she is not telling you about.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

RickMD : Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
RickMD : Increased heart rate, increased breathing, elevated blood pressure are all signs of pain.
RickMD : Also, she might move slowly, grimace when she moves, etc if she is having pain that she is not telling you about.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks,
1more piece of info.
How to tell when person is out, due to morphine being high enough to work heavily on the brain.

Just want to be sure to see the signs, this whole situation is hard on her I just don't to miss signs.

Thanks
John,

I understand your concerns.

When the morphine is high enough to make her out, her breathing will be slow and easy, she will look to be resting comfortably, and her blood pressure would be at a normal level for her, or a bit low.

Here is a great webpage from the National Institute of Health on morphine that you may find helpful as you help your mom:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682133.html

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.