Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

A, few weeks ago.

Customer Question

A, few weeks ago, I scratched off a normal looking mole in my neck. It looks like the wound turned into a scar. I must confess that I pick at the wound alot, ever since I scratched of the mole. I just want to be sure my lesion is not something cancerous like a amelanoctic melanoma. Thank you

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details being head and neck surgeon.

Do you have any enlarged lymph node in neck, specially on the same side where mole is?

Has that inflammed area decreased in size so far or any recent increase in size?

Have you got that mole examined by a doctor before you scratched it?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It surely decreased in size, but this last area, seems not to disapear.

I think it is a scar? The dermatoligist looked at the mole before I scratched it off and said it looked fine.

also no enlarged lymph nodes.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Vincent thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem but you are over stressing yourself. This cannot be any form of cancer including amelanotic melanoma because;

1. Cancer never decrease in size.
2. In melanomas, most of the time lymph nodes are enlarged in the adjoining area.
3. The look of the lesion is consistent with scar.

So please don't stress yourself, being a neck surgeon, i see such lesions many a times and i assure you that melanoma or amelanotic melanoma never looks like this. I hope this helps you, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One question what can I do to speed up the healing proces?

Do you have any tips, beside not picking it anymore.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I was just going to say that do one thing that don't do anything to it :).
You can apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily on it. This will reduce the inflammation and will help you in speeding up the healing process. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, I am sorry you have requested me in wrong category. You can ask your question here. Regards
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Please post the recent picture here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I cant seem to upload a picture via the normal way. Its not the best quality sorry about that.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. I am glad that you contacted me again. I have compared this picture with your previous one and yes you are doing good, it is in healing phase so just relax. It will take few weeks but ultimately you will be fine. There is nothing to be concerned or stressed. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So its normal to swell up like this in the healing fase ?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's normal inflammatory response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wound heal like normal skin, or would it leave a scar.?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. We cannot be sure about this but 80% chances are there that it will heal without a scar but fading of scar will take weeks to months. So don't get worried :),

please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A final question for today, Can this be granulation tissue ?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
No it's not granulation because granulations form due to failure of healing. It's just a normal healing scar. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one final question. How can it be that in my eyes for days my lesion looks quite calm and all of a sudden it starts to swell and turns abit redisch.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
In the healing phase this an occur. This is not abnormal. Sometime touching the lesion again and again can do this too. Just give it few weeks and you will see the improvement.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, How is your mole now? Is there anything i can help you with? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well doctor this is how my mole looks now, I think it grew back where I once scartched the whole mole of, I talked about it last night with you. But comparing the first pictures and the picture I just made the elavated pink tissue is exactly where my mole used to be.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Well Vincent i am glad to see your latest pic because it just look like a scar due to scratching. To me there is nothing serious with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you doc,

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. I wish you all the best. Please spare sometime to rate my answer as per your satisfaction level. Regards