Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

my fiancé has been diagnosed with coccydynia in hong kong.

Customer Question

my fiancé has been diagnosed with coccydynia in hong kong. As of right now she is taking Tramadol, and an NSAID. She has had this pain for quite some time before seeking treatment. The doctor recommended she take off work for up to 3 months, which she cannot do at this time, (housekeeper on a part time basis) as it is a hard ailment to get rid of. I have been doing some research and am hoping for a quicker, lasting cure. What is the normal path of treatment and/or your recommendation on what I have told you here?
Also, my fiancé is very much into walking for health benefits, both physical and mental. Should she curtail the walking and stay off her feet as much as possible to give her treatment a chance to work?

thank you, donn
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

usually walking and standing usually doesn't aggrevate coccyx pain. if walking and exercising with walking helps her physically and mentally and doesn't aggrevate her coccyx pain, then she should continue to do it. usually it is prolonged sitting which worsens coccyx pain.

she should ice the area in the coccyx to try to help decrease inflamamtion.

she might benefit from see a physical therapy and rehabilitation medicine doctor there and trying stretching which might help her. there are stretching exercises of the groin and pelvic muscles which might help her.

however, if her pain continues to bother her, she might need xrays or CT scans of the pelvis to see if she needs a surgery to correct the coccyx bone there.

is she avoiding sitting on hard surfaces? she might need to carry around a padded seat cushion to help decrease pain and inflammation of her coccyx.