Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

hi i smoked crack cocaine [3 hits] 13 days ago and my pre employment

hi i smoked crack cocaine [3 hits] 13 days ago and my pre employment medical is tomorrow aftertnoon and there is a urine test..what are my chances of failing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The crack cocaine that you used 13 days ago will not cause a positive urine test at this point. The usual period of detection of the cocaine metabolites by a urine test is 2-5 days. There are some people that can have a slightly longer period of detection than normal, but it would be impossible that the urine test would detect cocaine 13 days after last use.

The only testing which might detect use at this point would be hair drug testing. Hair drug testing is designed to detect drug use for up to 90 days after use. Hair drug testing is notoriously inaccurate at detecting single uses of most drugs, but if you had other use of the drug prior to the episode 13 days ago, there would be a risk of detection from a hair drug test.

However, there is no likelihood of failing a urine drug test in this scenario. You will certainly pass a urine drug test performed 13 days after last use.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I have completely answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok well i had 3 hits does the amount make a difference..also what is benzoylecgonine can this be detected?

At 13 days, the amount would not make a difference in whether a urine drug test will detect the cocaine. The amount of the use may make a difference within the 2-5 days of the usual period of detection, but a higher amount of use would not extend the period of detection for any significant time beyond the 2-5 days.

The benzoylecgonine is the primary cocaine metabolite and is the metabolite that is being tested for on a urine drug test. The cocaine, itself, actually leaves the body very quickly, but it is the benzoylecgonine that can be detected in the 2-5 day window noted above. Since many people do not know the term, benzoylecgonine, I will usually only refer to cocaine metabolites, as I did above, but the benzoylecgonine is the specific metabolite looked for with the test.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question:

The longest detection period EVER reported in the medical/scientific literature was 22 days. This is not typical and was reported in a case of a chronic heavy daily user (addict).

The detection period for cocaine metabolites including benzoylecgonine is much less than 13 days in the case you described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so should i drink a lot of water to get the drug out of my system or does it help i heard it does?

While you may find this suggestion on multiple sites, there is absolutely no evidence that drinking extra water will somehow "flush" the drug or drug metabolites from the body. The cocaine metabolites are eliminated from the body at a rather constant state, and excess intake of water (or any other fluid, food, vitamin etc) will not significantly impact that time frame.

I understand you are concerned about this test, but in over 10 years of dealing with drug testing issues (as a Medical Review Officer - a physician with specialized training and certification in the interpretation of drug test), I have never seen a positive urine for cocaine 13 days after use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks..another question I was also drinking alcohol when I was smoking will this make a difference..
NO - the alcohol will not influence the detection period of the cocaine metabolites.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the drug ice does it have the same detection time as cocaine my friend would like to know.thank you.
"Ice" is a term for methamphetamine. The detection period for methamphetamine is similar - typically 2-3 days.

By 13 days - this should also be negative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answers hopefully I pass.thanks..
You're welcome. Please let me know when you pass your test!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just remembered also I was taking cold and flu tablets a few days ago will this effect the result.as in will it help the crack to be still in my urine?
No - the cocaine metabolites would not still be in your system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the drug ice detection time in urine?
"Ice" is a slang term for methamphetamine - Drug tests can be positive for approximately 3 days after last use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you..
You're welcome. Please don't forget to give an "excellent" rating for my service.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry another question I have numbness in my left knee the last day or two is this from the crack?
That is NOT a typical finding expected from use of crack cocaine. This could represent a number of things including a pinched nerve or even a stroke. A physical examination (and possibly some testing) would be required to determine the cause of this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i also have burning like in my lower legs is this a come down from the crack..it was my first time using the drug is it a side effect.would the drug be still in system..thanks..

The drug itself and the metabolites would be completely out of your system at this point. The burning in the legs could be caused by a number of things; as previously mentioned. While this could have been caused by something related to the use of the drug(s), it is impossible to determine the cause over the internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much for everything..my test is in the morning it will be the 14th day fingers crossed.thank again..
Please don't worry - you're test will be fine!

Please let me know when you get your results and we'll both celebrate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you..