Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi I woke up last night with a terrible pain in my left leg.

Hi I woke up last night with a terrible pain in my left leg. It radiates from my knee down my calf to the bend at the top of my foot near my ankle. Even the ball of my foot.. It's tight but has a wierd sensation like bubbling sensation. Sometimes it becomes
very painful and then subsides. I don't have swelling, redness or bruising. It actually feels a little better when I walk on it worse when I am laying down. Any thoughts on what this could be?
I can appreciate your concern.
This may be only calf cramps.
Do gentle stretching exercises of the calf. Also apply warm fomentation with a hot water bottle, etc on the calf.
The other important thing to exclude is DVT. This can also produce the same symptoms.
So continue with the stretching exercises and warm fomentation, but also see your doctor at the earliest.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does DVT normally cause swelling? What is the treatment for DVT?
Yes, it would usually cause swelling in the leg.
Early stages may not have swelling though.
Treatment for DVT is with anticoagulants like Warfarin and also compression stockings. Walking is recommended. Some people need only careful monitoring and do not need immediate treatment.
If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it less common in someone my age, 38? I am also experiencing some night sweats.
Yes, its quite uncommon at 38.
I would not consider this at all likely for you.
Do not worry about this.
Instead try the warm compresses and stretching exercises. Also do a lot of walking.
However if there is any severity of symptoms or new symptoms develop, or the pain continues to persist, then show your doctor.