Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello. I have a question about a skin problem relating to vitilgo.

Hello. I have a question about a skin problem relating to vitilgo. There is a person I like who has that problem. It is stupid of me to ask this and I am embarrassed as well, but does that problem have a solution? or does it keep growing? My parents are
very particular about the girl I marry since I have an Indian background. Can this problem be controlled with medications? Or does it keep growing?
I can appreciate your concern.
Whether it spreads or not or how much of the body area it occupies depends on the type of vitiligo. Most cases of vitiligo though stop advancing after a certain period and do not grow further.
And yes, this problem can be tackled by medicines and other procedures. Immuno-modifying agents like Tacrolimus are given for this and also repigmenting medicines like psoralen.
The areas can also be treated with UVB and PUVA light.
Another procedure that can be used to treat this is Melanocyte transplantation.
Go to a dermatology clinic in a large teaching hospital. Discuss these options with the doctor. I am sure the doctor will be able to treat your friend.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.