Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello - if you have a clotting disorder, would it be something

Customer Question

Hello - if you have a clotting disorder, would it be something that would be detected early on? I had surgery at the agecof 14. My mother was considered a super clotter and unfortunately passed away from one when she had cancer.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr M replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I see you are off line, but am happy to answer more questions when you return. There is a battery of laboratory testing that can be done if a clotting disorder is suspecting; many of these are familial, and most common in the western european population. Common examples are factor 5 leiden and a prothrombin gene mutation; these are part of the tests that are typically sent as a panel. If your mother had a clot in the setting of cancer this is a bit different because cancer itself actually leads to a hypercoaguable state and increased risk of clotting. I would go over your risks and family history with your PCP and determine whether the laboratory tests are worth it; if they are covered by your insurance it may help with with peace of mind to know whether or not you have familial risk factors. Dr. M
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So her clotting and being a super clotted was a function of the cancer
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Yes as the other expert noted it would not be so likely that you had a familial clotting disorder if your mother had the clot complication in the setting of a cancer. You may wish to review this history with your doctor. You could be tested for your clotting function and for common clotting disorders. There are common panels that we order to evaluate for this problem. If you have serious concern of a current potential clot then you can have a d- dimer blood test to detect abnormal clotting activity. An ultrasound of the calves may be done to detect the presence of a DVT.
I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I was able to move my foot no problem. I guess I am just paranoid about, but it sounds like its unlikely. The pain would be severe and constant, correct?
Hello!!
I agree with you!! I think think that a clot is unlikely ! I think that it sounds that you are safe in this regard. A DVT is generally quite painful and constant and associated with swelling of the affected leg.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice