Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a very sore and stiff left knee/calf which radiates

Customer Question

I have a very sore and stiff left knee/calf which radiates to my foot. My knee didn't start bothering me until the middle of the night- it woke me up. I took Advil but it didn't seem to help. The front knee looks a little red and maybe a bit swollen, but
not much. Any suggestions of what could causing this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It sounds to me that you probably have two separate injuries.
For one you may have strained the calf muscle. Perhaps you had a strenuous activity or heavy lifting or unusual climb to cause this...
The knee pain and redness sounds to me probably separate than the calf pain but the same activity may have led to both.. The knee pain could be a joint injury. It commonly might involve the medial or lateral meniscus. These are cartilage structures that cushion between the femur and tibia. These are common sources of knee injury and pain. Other structures of the knee could be the source of your injury and pain.
You would sound to be of benefit to see an orthopedic specialist if this pain is ongoing .
I hope this information is helpful to you! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! If my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated ! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - could it be a blood clot? I am 38 years old. I feel like a wierd pulsating sensation in my calf/back of knee and sometimes a popping sensation. I woke up last night with terrible pain, but it seems to feel better when I am walking on it. I don't have any bruising and really no swelling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was at a concert last night and was standing for three hours, but didn't feel anything until the middle of the night.
Hello again,
If you had a blood clot ( deep vein thrombosis) then I would expect you to have swelling if the leg as a sign. This usually occurs in the setting of definite risk factors such as being immobile after recovering from surgery such as hip surgery for example... Other risk factors would be certain individuals with clotting disorders ... Also a sign if a blood clot in the calf would be pain with lifting up the foot...
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - lifting the foot or bending the foot upwards?
Hi again ,
Lifting the foot "northward" at the ankle... This puts a stretch to the calf and hurts if there is a DVT but other causes of calf pain may also hurt with this maneuver..
I think if you lack swelling and risk factors that you don't need to worry about a clot as being your cause... It sounds that the prolonged standing may have caused a strain of the muscle and a knee injury to me from your history..
I hope this helps! Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice