Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi - Ive been having pain in the top of my left foot right

Customer Question

Hi - Ive been having pain in the top of my left foot right where you foot bends. It hurts worse at night. I don't notice it much during the day just like a slight burning sensation. It sometimes bothers my right foot too - it doesn't appear to be swollen,
but it does wake me up at night.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.
Since how long do you have this problem?
There is no redness or warmth at the affected site, right?
No history of trauma?
Any treatment taken so far for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the past few days. No redness or warmth. No trauma although when I go up stairs I hear a clicking noise in my knee. The paid sometimes radiates to my calf and up thee hind my knee.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the useful information.
The most likely cause here appears to be related to inflammation of the tendons/ligaments around the joint.
There are many reasons for this including a trauma (which may be un-noticed), physical exertion and stress etc.
There is another possibility of arthritis affecting the ankle joint, which may cause pain when you move it and this pain may radiate upward or downward in the remaining part of the foot.
At this point, you should try to have rest.
Apply heating pads (have soothing and pain relieving effect).
And use Motrin or Aleve (which help reduce the pain as well as any ongoing inflammation).
Maintain adequate hydration.
See how you respond to these measures in next few days.
If the problem persist, does not improve or get worse, see your doctor discussing the possibilities i have mentioned for a comprehensive clinical examination as well as X-ray/MRI of the affected joint which will give the exact answer.
There is a remote possibility of clot in the leg, which can give a similar kind of pain when you move your foot at ankle, but this is associated with swelling in the leg (which you do not have).
This also needs to be ruled out once you see your doctor.
I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.
It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.
My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks the pain is now more in the back of the knee -.its a throbbing tightness oain
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Now this can be knee also.
Same problems that can affect ankle can also affect the knee as well. If the pain is significant (despite pain medications), you must have it examined (and x-ray).
Follw the same precautions as i mentioned for the ankle.
Goodluck and get well soon :)
Kindest Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels better when I stand vs laying down. Is this common?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
I would say "not uncommon".
Try anti-inflammatories for few days and see how this behaves.
Most likely this will settle failing which you would require evaluation.
Kindest Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you don't think this likely a blood clot? I am 38 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Its included in my differentials, but down the list.
Honestly a clinical examination and tests will be required to be sure about the diagnosis but at this point, blood clot seems least likely.
Kindest Regards.
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities