Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

Hi, I was in a moderate car accident the other night and hit my airbag and seat belt prett

Hi, I was in a moderate car accident the other night and hit my airbag and seat belt pretty hard resulting in a couple of scratches on my nose and a single one on my chest. I didn't have any chest pain the night of but the next day I had pain at a very specific spot on my mid chest. This pain has made itself known when I twish, lift or laugh over the last two days. What do you think is the cause? Should I go get checked out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on scale of 1 to 10?

Does it get worse when you take a deep breath in?

Associated shortness of breath?

Can you exactly pin point the site of pain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would say it's a 5 when twisting and lifting and a 3 otherwise (an ache). Deep breathes don't aggregate however more of a jerky breath does (laughing). No shortness of breath either, the pain is marginally left of my upper mid chest, I think it's where my sternum is but Im not sure.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

This looks more like a muscle spasm secondary to the trauma and its resultant muscle damage.

In general, this usually settles down in few days to week.

You are taking a muscle relaxant --- its good, but please note this is not simply a muscle spasm. This spasm is result of muscle trauma and inflammation and hence you need anti-inflammatory medications as well such as ibuprofen or naproxen.

These will reduce the inflammation, as well as pain and will reduce the stimulus for the muscle spasm while you continue with the muscle relaxant.

There is remote possibility of a bony fracture as well, which can only be ruled out with the help of an X-ray, but honestly this seems more like a spasm, nothing else.

You should also apply heating pads over the affected are.

Maintain adequate hydration and nutrition.

Have rest.

And Motrin or Aleve should be taken.

See how you respond to these measures in next few days.

If the problem persist, does not improve or gets worse, see your doctor for a clinical examination and further investigations.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! So there is no need to get checked correct? At what point would it be necessary - Id rather avoid getting looked at unnecessarily but I understand the value of precaution.

You can wait for another 48-72 hours and monitor the pain/symptoms.

If this improve/disappear --- good.

If this persist or get worse --- you should have an evaluation done.

I hope this clarifies.

Goodluck and Get Well Soon :)

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities