Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello,Can anoxic brain injury cause mental OKMH0618217

Hello, Can anoxic brain injury cause mental illness such as schizophrenia? Thanks, Melissa

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Yes anoxic brain injury may cause any number of injuries to the brain and this cognition . This type of injury may alter personality , impair memory and may cause hallucinations or detachment from reality. It may take on characteristics consistent with schizophrenia but this type of pattern is not common to anoxic brain injury. I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sister has a TBI. She got it when she was trying to give birth 9 years ago. The epidural was placed in the wrong spot in her spine, they mixed the epidural with different pain medications and she was full of fluid (which the doctors did not detect).The shot caused the fluid shot up, she and her baby drowned in her fluid and she went into cardiac arrest for 13 minutes. She was placed in sedation for two weeks and when she woke up she had brain injury. She has problems with her memory, even though her hippocampus (according to a neurologist) has recovered. She lacks initiation is withdrawn, has a flat affect most of the time with a monotone voice, has to be reminded to take care of her daily living activities such as bathing. She also does things in awkard positions if not reminded to do differenlty (such as eating when standing up). She exhibits some of the symptoms of schizophernia. Could conventional treatment for schizophernia help her symptoms or would she need to recieve different treatment because of her TBI? Thanks you!

XXXXX XXXXX LLMSW, DDC, 1L
Hello again,

I think that a combination of treatment approaches would be needed in her case. I think that both a neurologist and psychiatrist would be needed to address her TBI history and current ongoing symptoms. She has somewhat of an atypical history and I think her treatment may be a bit of trial and error. This is frequently the case in psychiatric problems though as the needs of patients must be very much individualized.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards,

Anthony BRAY MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice