911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

A friend has been diagnosed with a low blood platelet count

A friend has been diagnosed with a low blood platelet count and white and red blood cell counts that are irregular. She has been told she has Pancytopenia(?). She is going in for a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. Is this procedure a logical step in treatment. Will it lead to a solution?

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

It is absolutely a logical step in the workup of pancytopenia.

911DOC :

The reason is that all the components of blood are made in the bone marrow.

911DOC :

Your friend has low counts of red cells, white cells, and paltelets.

911DOC :

The diagnosis will likely come from the bone marrow aspiration and this will lead to proper therepy.

911DOC :

'therapy'

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you