Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I have been to the doctor for a white spot on my left tonsil

I have been to the doctor for a white spot on my left tonsil and I didn't get it tested because I do not have medical benefits and cannot afford the swab test. Two of my children had strep in May and I assumed I had strep too. I did not realize if I had a fever and did not feel sick or that I had a sore throat. The only symptoms I have is the white spot on my left tonsil and my left ear and bottom left of neck hurts and feels a pulling sensation (mostly comes on at night). I took 7 days of amoxicillan that I was prescribed (875mg every 12 hours) and the white spot and ear/neck pain remain. The doctor prescribed Amox-Clav (875mg every 12 hours) which I started Saturday. None of my symptoms are improving. My voice feels strained as well.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

There are two important reasons for persistence of your symptoms.

First, this can be a resistant bacterial infection which has failed to respond to penicillins (amoxicillin as well as amoxiclav), and may require more stronger and broad spectrum antibiotics to treat such as quinolones (moxifloxacin or gemifloxacin).

Honestly at this point, when two courses of antibiotics have failed to improve your symptoms, ideally the swab should be taken and cultured before starting another course of stronger antibiotic to be absolutely sure about the diagnosis as well as treatment.

The second possibility is that it can be a non-infectious inflammatory lesion, such as aphthous ulcer (you can have it on tonsil as well) which in turns give pain, swelling and inflammation. This may take up to 6 weeks to settle.

Other lesions (such as leukoplakia) can be a remote possibility if this does not heal in 4 weeks. For that a biopsy would be required.

At this point, i will suggest you to complete the amoxiclav course and get back to your doctor discussing all the details i have mentioned to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

Saline gargles.

Mouth wash.

Ibuprofen or naproxen.

All will be helpful.

See how you respond to these measures in next few days, and in case if the symptoms persist, do not improve or get worse, see your doctor again in order to get a right diagnosis and to get a specific and targeted management initiated.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your help and I will continue the full course as prescribed with the Amoxclav. And, if it refuses to get better do as you recommended.

Thank you again!

Thank you very much stacy.

Get well soon.