Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I was bitten by my dog almost 4 weeks ago. It was one puncture

I was bitten by my dog almost 4 weeks ago. It was one puncture through my fingernail on left index finger. Have kept it clean and applied antibacterial ointment for the first week. Saw doctor after one week and he said there was no sign of infection, that it would show up within 24 hours. These past couple of days it has been slightly sore and maybe a little swelling is present. Is this just a part of the healing process. I was wondering if it could be a damaged nerve or even cracked bone. Is it possible that it would take that long for an infection to set it? Should I be taking antibiotics?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 10 months ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details. Can you move your finger normally? What is the color of your finger nail? Any change in color? Do you have any diagnosed medical problem? What are you taking for pain? Regards

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I can move my finger normally, although there does seem to be a little tightness at the bend. The majority of my nail is normal in color, except for the bruising where the dog bite occurred. I do have some arthritis, but only a minor problem. I am not taking anything for pain. Pain is only about 2 or 3 out of 10. Do not like to take medicine if at all possible.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. First of all i would like to reassure you that you don't need to stress yourself for anything serious like a cracked bone or inflammed nerve. As per symptoms this sounds like mild inflammation. Infection as such is less likely but a slight possibility is there. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily for three to five days should be tried. Moreover dip your finger twice daily in slightly warm water in glass with a table spoon of Epsom salt in it. These two measures will help you but if the symptoms persist after that, visit your doctor and get assessment accordingly. Hopefully you will feel better soon, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the advice. I have already had to deal with the issue of rabies and that came out okay. Really didn't want to think about infection. I have really kept finger clean. Was only one puncture through nail, not deep. I will do as you suggest, hopefully it helps. I did not know if it could take that long for an infection to occur. Will keep watching and hoping for the best.

You are most welcome. Yes i agree with you because infection is not likely to come after so many weeks and your current symptoms are also not consistent with infection. I am quite hopeful that you will feel better soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery