Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Hi, I am a a 49 year old female. I have been having dull pains

Hi, I am a a 49 year old female. I have been having dull pains in my lower stomach it feels like gas but it has been 3 or 4 days. It doesn't hurt much when sitting but hurts when I get up and walk around.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any symptoms like diarrhea, fever, constipation, pain on pressing the lower abdomen?

DR HASAN :

Blood or mucus in stool, foul smelling stool etc?

Customer:

no none of those

DR HASAN :

Are you post menopausal?

Customer:

yes

DR HASAN :

Any vaginal discharge?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer:

feels more like I have gas pains ans can't pass it

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

DR HASAN :

There are few possibilities.

DR HASAN :

This can be due to a condition called diverticulitis or can be simply muscular pain. In case of muscular pain, there should be no gas so that gas problem can be separate.

DR HASAN :

If it is Diverticulitis then it's a very mild form of it.

DR HASAN :

A simple bacterial infection of the colon can cause this too.

DR HASAN :

This needs investigations to get to the exact cause.

DR HASAN :

However I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations tums are of no use.

DR HASAN :

Lots of water, OTC gas X tablets and soft diet should be tried first.

DR HASAN :

avoid high fiber food and gas producing things like beverages, vegetables etc.

DR HASAN :

Tylenol thrice daily is also advisable.

DR HASAN :

If you see improvement in next 48 hours, continue this, otherwise see your doctor.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

DR HASAN :

But at least nothing is serious.

DR HASAN :

You there?

Customer:

yes sorry I am at work.

DR HASAN :

It's ok, i was just worried that you are ok.

Customer:

ok thank you for your advise, try this and hopefully it will help.

Customer:

That relieves me anyway and I get on with my day!

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome, I am glad that you got my point. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thank you so much!

DR HASAN :

:)

DR HASAN :

Most welcome.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery