Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

How dangerous are low doses of Methotrexate to the liver?

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.I will do whatever I can to help answer your question.First I need a little more information-

Since how long are you taking methotrexate?
What dosage are you taking?
For what disorder were you prescribed with this medication?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was taking approximately 3 years. Started at 5mgs,went up to 15mgs. Psoriasis.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Methotrexate can cause abnormal liver function. The increased risk of liver damage is significant for people who are drinking alcohol while taking methotrexate.

Hepatic side effects including hepatotoxicity, acute hepatitis, chronic fibrosis and cirrhosis, decrease in serum albumin, and liver enzyme elevations.

One research have shown that patients taking methotrexate doses of 1 to 10 grams demonstrates that approximately 30% of them develop mild-to-moderate histological abnormalities (fat, cellular unrest, mild inflammation, nuclear atypical) and 2-20% of them develop some degree of hepatic fibrosis.

Methotrexate is well known to cause elevations in serum aminotransferase levels and long-term therapy has been linked to development of fatty liver disease, fibrosis and even cirrhosis.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that methotrexate when taken -even is low doses may damage the liver depending on since how long are you taking it & also various other factors.

Regular monitoring of liver function test(LFT) & other tests should be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert