Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My doctor thinks that I have gastroparesis because of the gastric-emptying

My doctor thinks that I have gastroparesis because of the gastric-emptying test. He said stomach emptying was mild-to-moderate. I did have an US that they said was negative, I don't know how closely they looked at the pancreas but they said the pancreas, liver, kidneys and gallbladder were normal. I am not diabetic. He said he didn't know why I had this. Should I have another CT focusing on the gallbladder?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : This is Dr. Bray the doctor you addressed has not picked up on the question yet ... I hope that I may be of help to you...
Anthony Bray MD : If you had a normal US then I do not think that this needs to be repeated....
Anthony Bray MD : if you had pain due to gallstones or an enlarged gallbladder the first US should have shown that....
Anthony Bray MD : Have you had an upper endoscopy?? If not then this may be a helpful test with regard to your abdominal pain...
Anthony Bray MD : Do you have diabetes ? That would be the most common cause of gastroparesis ....
Anthony Bray MD : with the pain and difficulty that you describe I would wonder if you may have complications of a gastric or duodenal ulcer as possible contributors to your symptoms...
Anthony Bray MD : sorry I read in your history that you are not diabetic... I overlooked that on first read through....
Anthony Bray MD : the pancreas and liver should be checked with blood tests for the appropriate enzymes as well as CT or US...
Anthony Bray MD : keep a food diary to see if there are particular foods that give you more trouble....
Customer:

I have had an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy. They said the upper endoscopy just showed a little bit of gastritis and it should not cause all these symptoms. I have had many lab tests. They said they were negative. I can't keep a food diary because I can't eat.

Anthony Bray MD : your small intestine could be evaluated with a swallowed camera device as well...
Anthony Bray MD : Try to eat soups--- mainly carbs such as chicken noodle for example and see how this does ...
Anthony Bray MD : try jello and pudding options...
Anthony Bray MD : try Boost or Ensure to help your nutrition status...
Customer:

I'm sorry Doctor, I don't mean to be difficult, but I have tried to eat soups, including chicken noodle. I can't eat jello or puddings. Even they cause abdominal pain. I had an Ensure for dinner today and soon after, I got the terrible abdominal pain.

Anthony Bray MD : Prevacid or Prilosec or other acid reducing med may help symptoms . It would help with gastritis and your symptoms may be disproportionate to the endoscopy findings. We see this pattern at times ...
Customer:

The doctor has me on Protonix but it doesn't help.

Anthony Bray MD : You are not being difficult. You have a serious problem!!
Anthony Bray MD : Ask your doctor for trying Carafate plus Nexium...
Anthony Bray MD : a GI cocktail made of viscous lidocaine plus Mylanta may be of help to you!!
Anthony Bray MD : Well keep taking it as it could take weeks to see improvement in some cases ...
Anthony Bray MD : has the Reglan helped at all??
Customer:

Believe it or not, I was on Nexium and Carafate, and he took me off and put me on Protonix. I had that cocktail in one of my ER visits. My GI doctor won't give me anything for the pain. He wants me to get pain relief from the Reglan. Does not reduce the pain. I still can't eat with the Reglan and it doesn't relieve the pain.

Anthony Bray MD : It seems that you may have problem in addition to gastroparesis. I wish that I could offer you more answers!
Customer:

Thank you.

Anthony Bray MD : it sounds that your doctors are taking appropriate steps ... Did the limited GI cocktail seem to help???
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome! I wish that I could be of more help to you! The upper GI capsule endoscopy I would recommend...
Customer:

The cocktail they gave me in the ER helped me that night, but the pain came back. I don't know if I can get the viscous lidocaine myself. My doctor acts like I'm not in as much pain as I am.

Anthony Bray MD : The viscous lidocaine would be helpful in diagnostic sense. This helping would indicate problem of pain due to GI tract ( not pancreas or liver or gall bladder ) yes you could be prescribed with viscous lidocaine. I usually advise it be silted with Mylanta ...