Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have neck, and head pain. Headache

I have neck, shoulder and head pain. No trauma Headache is right above ears almost in line with temples if wearing glasses and also at base of skull in back which is actually the worst pain!  Cry Yell

Moving neck will sometimes make a cracking sound but not loud and not all the time or often.

Getting it rubbed does make it feel better somewhat but doesn't last long.

All muscles in that are are hard as rocks and very tight. Again massage does help but not for long.

Actually the muscles of my arms are often tight and sometimes painful but yet feel better being rubbed  

I am insulin dependent diabetic on insulin pump using N500 and glucophage 1000 BID

I also have High Blood pressure and take a few medications for that.

I have increased cholesterol and take 40mg Simvastatin QAM

I also have Panic Attacks with Depression and Severe Anxiety.  

I take Effexor 150mg BID Xanax 2 mg as needed along with Abilify 2 mg QHS.

1 Baby 81 mg ASA QAM.

It hurts a lot mostly in the neck area and rotating does seem to give just a moderation of relief.

I took 1 Percocet 5 mg about 90 minutes ago and another about 20 minutes ago with still no relief.

I do also have frozen shoulder and have been to physical therapy multiple times with some relief but never fixed.  Surgery was discussed but not completed due to risks outweighing rewards at that time.

Most back of head where the indentation is at base of skull and about 2-3 inches higher and 1-2 inches lower in an egg shape almost.

Rubbing or a lot of pressure does make it better but only while applied.

Glucose was up at 270

BP was also up some at 151/91 pulse 94

Please ask if any other information is needed.

Thank You in advance for your help! Smile

Went to ER.  Partial Pinched Nerve, Partial Muscle Spasms, Partial Full Blown Panic Attack.

Given Ativan and Toradol and released.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Such headaches associated with muscle stiffness at the nape of the neck are called 'Cervicogenic headaches'.

This occurs due to stiffness and spasms of the muscles at the back of the neck.

Treatment options are physical exercises, muscle relaxants, trigger point injections etc.

You should consult your doctor and discuss about these treatments.

Please read up here for more info on this:
http://www.headache-adviser.com/cervicogenic-headache.html

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes getting very sleepy right now. From lack of and medication. Going to lay down now for a bit hopefully.

I have had 3 full PT treatments from 1 month to 4 months

Trigger point injections help but only for a very short while.

I do have flexeril but forget about trying it this time.

Thank a lot for the link. I saved it and will read it all letter

Glad to help.

Do write back with follow up questions if you have any.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.