Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

cyst/boil/clogged pore under my right brest - painful and inflamed.

cyst/boil/clogged pore under my right brest - painful and inflamed. Doctor today prescribed cephalexin 500 mg AND SMZ/TMP DS 800/160 mg AND gave me a shot in my bottom of one of these today (not sure which one?). Do NOT want to take TWO antibiotics! Do not like to take antibiotics and rarely do - once a year at most over the last 10 + years - only when it is a last resort (e.g. ear infection early this spring). If I only took one antibiotic (and I ALWAYS take them the entire time they are prescribed - until they are gone!) - which one would you recommend?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Yikes !!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well if only one with the skin infection then I would probably opt for the cephalexin...

Anthony Bray MD :

This has good general skin bacteria coverage...

Anthony Bray MD :

I suspect the shot was probably Rocephin...

Anthony Bray MD :

The Septra (SMZ/TMP) is not very general coverage but often will cover MRSA which is a common resistant bacteria...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this helps...

Anthony Bray MD :

please let me know if you have further quesions... I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated.

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony bray MD

Anthony Bray MD :

The cephalexin is more usual general coverage for a skin infection so consider that one to be your primary one...

Anthony Bray MD :

The SMZ/TMP is more insurance against one specific common bacteria that can be resistant...