Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

For a couple of days, I have a lightning pain starting from

For a couple of days, I have a lightning pain starting from behind my right earlobe towards the center point of my head. It is a consistent pain and I feel somewhat like the skin is swollen.
Please, advise me what to do?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tessie
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Associated nausea, vomiting, blurring of vision or weakness of any body part?

Sleep issues?

Stress?

Any concurrent illness you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Severity - 8

No nausea or anything but slight dizziness.

I could sleep after taking pain killer, but could not work. I work many hours with computer.

Little stress.

No concurrent illness whatsoever.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Tessie.

Most common cause for such kind of headache is spasm of the muscles at back of neck and in the scalp. This is commonly referred to as "Tension Headache".

Off course stress contributes to it but there are other causes as well such as inadequate sleep, concurrent illness, anxiety, exposure to extremes of temperature etc.

Little increase in blood pressure can also give you the same symptoms.

And, problems with the eye sight can also present clinically with headache but this is usually accompanied by pain around the eye.

The best step right now is to take regular pain killers which include Ibuprofen (Motrin) along with Tylenol continuously for few days and see how you respond to it.

Also, have adequate rest.

Avoid prolonged sittings/work shifts.

Daily walk/exercise.

Adequate sleep.

Since there is no vomiting, weakness of any body part (which are serious symptoms and point towards a sinister cause for the headache), there is no need to panic. Just monitor your blood pressure and wait for another few days. Hopefully this will settle down soon, but in case if this does not improve, persist, get worse or if you get any of the warning symptoms (mentioned earlier), see your doctor for a more detailed evaluation discussing all the details i have mentioned to get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

Your doctor may order CT of the brain to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong which will also put your mind at ease.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities