Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

hi i have acute bronchitis ive been to the dr today and he

hi i have acute bronchitis i've been to the dr today and he said i don't have pneumonia and my air is moving well i have just given my nebulizer treatment as per directed each 4 hrs and i'm honking like a goose. when i breathe in it feels like liquid moves up and down in my throat anf then when i breathe out i want to cough it's very loud and sounds like a honk. the cough has gone from steady last wednesday to this crazy thing. i have steroid tabs 3 each day for 5days to be taken i'm on my third day. i feel rotten and have been to urgicare today alreadyis this loosening is that what's maybe happening?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you have fever?

Blood tests like CBC?

Chest X-ray done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the dr said i did;nt present like someone who had pneumonia and did;nt think one was needed no fever no blood tests done a gp the other day he felt it was allergy related asthma acute bronchitis

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Gloria.

Acute bronchitis is usually a viral infection (in over 90% of cases) and takes 2-4 weeks to settle down completely. Some times the course may be prolonged and this may take up to 6 weeks to resolve.

In such viral infections only supportive treatment is required (like the one you are getting) which include expectorants, cough suppressants, steroids and bronchodilators etc.

Honestly you are almost getting maximum treatment for acute bronchitis, and this should start improving with in few days.

However, as per standard guidelines, you must have a chest x-ray as well as CBC done. I say this because there are always chances of secondary bacterial infections (whenever you have prolonged viral illness and especially if you are taking steroids).

Also we are not sure whether the underlying etiology of this episode of acute bronchitis was viral or bacterial (which happens in less than 10% of the cases).

Therefore, you should have a re-evaluation done, preferably by a pulmonologist, and if deemed necessary you would need a round of antibiotics in addition to the drugs you are already taking.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Honey water will be very useful (due to anti-inflammatory properties).

Steam inhalation (will provide a soothing effect).

Watchfully monitor your symptoms for another 48 hours. If they do not improve or get worse, see your doctor again, discuss the details i have mentioned and get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the dr in the urgicare gave me a scrip for some more steroid tabs and biaxin should this show color. which it has not. i just was trying to figure out all the wierd noises the gurgling sensation the feeling that water was moving around in my lower throat and tree and this strange cough. I've had this before in the winter and it's been different each time.I wish i'd cough something up i'm taking the guifenison hoping it will help. everything has been clear and thin so far. thanks dr

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Biaxin (clarithromycin) is a good antibiotic in this kind of conditions. Hopefully this will work and things will improve out soon.

The only thing which needs to be done is a chest x-ray to make sure we are not missing pneumonia (although one can be clinically certain whether pneumonia is present or not, but there are always chances of error). Also this will help rule out that there is no fluid build up in the lungs (which can occur due to pneumonia).

Another possibility is that you might have developed reflux (gastroesophageal reflux) especially if you had this problem previously. This can make you feel change in taste of mouth as well as watery feeling in the throat.

Acute infections (and any other stressful body conditions) can make the reflux go worse for few days untill the stress period is over.

As of now the most logical step is to continue with the prescribed treatment and wait.

Again i would say if this does not improve in another 48 hours or so, or if the symptoms get worse, have a re-evaluation done by a pulmonologist.

Good luck and get well soon.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i talked to my asthma allergy office and they sent me to the urgicare as they could'nt get me in . I called them after i had this long coughing fit that scares me but tey always come at the later part of this condition. I get it nearly every yr since i was a teen in pa. sometimes i would be hospitalized for it sometimes not. i surely wish i could lessen these fits of un controlled coughing. when i get this. if somebody gives me a cold it escalates sometimes to asthmatic bronchitis. not fun. is a wheeze a whistling sound on the exhale he said monday i did'nt have a wheeze but had a rattle . is a rattle the movement of phlegm?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Basically all these sounds represent narrowing, thickening, collapse of airways due to ongoing inflammation and deposition of phlegm and other secretions (dead cells from air ways) in the air pathway.

Cough is a reflex generated to move up these secretions out of the airways.

Inflammation of the bronchi also trigger attacks of cough.

I can understand the problem you have with the cough. Acute bronchitis is notorious to give such kind of cough spells, but the good thing about it is that it is a benign condition and has a good prognosis.

Once this episode is over, you can ask your doctor for vaccination against influenza, pneumococci and hemophilus (leading causes of chest infections) which will greatly reduce your risks of getting any serious lung infection in future.

Right now you can also try Benadryl (available over the counter) which helps a lot in controlling cough severity.

Good luck and Kindest Regards.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had my pneumonia shot the yr before last due to a slight case of pneumonia with this 6 yrs ago they caught it though i get the flu shot every yr so i'm good there. i get them at my asthma allergy office. shoud i drink hot or cold liquids to the exclusion of one or the other.? i'll call that gp tomorrow and ask him to do a cbc and see if he will order a chest xray as you suggested.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hot and Cold liquids both are good.

Important is that you should keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Lots of water, juices, coffee, green tea etc.

And honey water.

Take care.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities