Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi Jones, Around 5-6 days ago I noticed a small lump around

Customer Question

Hi Jones,

Around 5-6 days ago I noticed a small lump around the anterior cervical area of the left side of my neck. I'd guess it to be an enlarged lymph node. It's not larger than approx. 1 cm, feels smooth, can be moved and feels more like a swollen muscle.

I don't have any night sweats, weight loss etc., but I've had hay fever reactions lately.

I'm quite nervous about lymphoma given that I have health anxiety. I just turned 24 and I hope you can give me some insight. Should I contact my doctor asap or can it wait?

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

I am myself head and neck surgeon so i can guide you.

Customer:

Hi Hasan,

DR HASAN :

Is that lymph node tender to touch?

DR HASAN :

Hi

Customer:

Thanks for helping me out, lets get to it

Customer:

Not at all

Customer:

Its smooth and moves around easily

DR HASAN :

Has it decreased or increased in size ?

Customer:

It's hard for me to guess if its a lymph or a muscle knot

Customer:

The same since I found it

Customer:

But to be honest I could have had it for a long time without noticing

DR HASAN :

Do you have any symptoms like nasal bleeding, difficulty swallowing or change in voice?

Customer:

Nothing at all

Customer:

Not even night sweats

DR HASAN :

Any fever, body rash, itching etc?

Customer:

If I send you a picture of the area will that help you out?

Customer:

No, not at all

DR HASAN :

definitely yes

Customer:

Well I haven't checked for fever but I don't feel feverish

Customer:

one moment then

DR HASAN :

ok :)

Customer:

Alright, let's see

Customer:

At the Anterior Cervical

Customer:

4th green dot from the top

DR HASAN :

It's yours pic?

Customer:

Ah no, its just a picture that I found

Customer:

but it describes it pretty well

DR HASAN :

ok yes it does explain the area.

DR HASAN :

Well thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

No problem, to be honest it doesnt feel that close to my SCM muscle

DR HASAN :

I am so sorry that you are stressed but i would like to reassure you that you are not likely to have anything serious.

DR HASAN :

Because

Customer:

I'd say a little more behind the spot i told you about

Customer:

Oh, thank you :O

DR HASAN :

At this location, if a lymph node is there, there can be three possibilities in general.

Customer:

Go on :)

DR HASAN :

It can be a lymphoma

DR HASAN :

a cancerous lymph node

DR HASAN :

or just inflammatory node

Customer:

Yeah, that's what Im scared of of course, my health anxiety in a nutshell hehe

DR HASAN :

or it might just be a muscle knot.

Customer:

So it CAN be a muscle knot?

DR HASAN :

So if we talk about lymphoma,

Customer:

Oh yeah, go on

DR HASAN :

it cannot be a lymphoma because you don't have any associated symptoms which are usually there and all of a sudden with a short history, it's not likely.

Customer:

That's good to hear

DR HASAN :

Now if we suppose it can be cancerous then again i can reassure you that it cannot be because you don't have any symptom of primary lesion like swallowing or voice of nasal problem

DR HASAN :

So we are left with inflammatory or muscle knot.

Customer:

And what if it was more around the posterior cervical? Would that make a difference?

DR HASAN :

Both are not serious and you can easily get them checked whenever possible.

DR HASAN :

Not much.

Customer:

That is so reassuring Hasan, thank you

Customer:

I can feel stressed down already

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

I have one small question left

DR HASAN :

I am glad to hear this.

Customer:

Regarding the muscle knot

DR HASAN :

Yes please.

DR HASAN :

yes

Customer:

Around 1½ month ago I strained my SCM muscle quite badly

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer:

And had headaches for quite some time, I went to the chiro and did a lot of exercises, which helped

Customer:

But, could this SCM strain be a cause of the muscle knot?

DR HASAN :

Yes quite frequently it can be.

DR HASAN :

It's not uncommon.

DR HASAN :

Anything else i can help you with?

Customer:

Hmm, this really puts the puzzle pieces together, are there any things / symptoms that I should be aware of in the upcoming days / weeks? IF it was lymph-related?

DR HASAN :

Yes the same which i asked for like difficulty in swallowing, nasal bleeding, change in voice, fever, night sweats, rash, itching etc.

DR HASAN :

But nothing will come, so just relax.

Customer:

You're right, it's just tough to keep calm with my anxiety, but I can assure you you've helped me a lot. I almost feel a little stupid to want to ask you for a last question

Customer:

Is one more question alright?

DR HASAN :

Please ask anything you want.

DR HASAN :

I am always here for you.

Customer:

Oh I wish my everyday doc was this helpful, I have to wait 3 weeks every time for a 10 minute consultancy

DR HASAN :

Thank you so much.

Customer:

If the lump / bean-sized thing was more in the middle of the anterior and posterior, directly on the muscle would that raise any concern? I can try to find a more precise image

DR HASAN :

Frankly speaking, it doesn't matter.

Customer:

Hmm when we look at this picture: http://www.fpnotebook.com/_media/NeckLateralMuscles.jpg

I must say it does feel like it's simply at the near bottom of the sternocleidomastoid muscle

Customer:

Yeah, you're right

DR HASAN :

Actually it's your doctor who can determine the exact location. By doing palpation on yourself, you can never pinpoint the location.

DR HASAN :

Yes as i said location doesn't matter.

Customer:

Hasan, you've helped me tremendously :) I will go to see my doctor, but this time without as much anxiety

DR HASAN :

You just need to take deep breaths and relax.

DR HASAN :

That's great. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

You're right :) I will give you a great review and thanks for your time

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

Good bye

Customer:

Bye!

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to bother you again Dr. Hasan!

I forgot to mention that I recently (max. 2 weeks ago) had a blood test, which came back completely normal. Would this have anything to say?

Thank you so much for all your help, I know you're busy so I really appreciate the time you take to help me out.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes Andres having normal blood tests are reassuring because in lymphoma blood parameters are disturbed. So again one more thing in your favor. good luck again. Regards.