Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Dont know what it is called but I am in very good health and

Don't know what it is called but I am in very good health and while I was doing sit ups at the gym I seem to have ruptured a tendon in my stomach, just above my belly button? When I exert myself it pushed out and I can push it back in with my finger, that was a few days ago and now it seems to be loosening up and happening more often, I've decided to just leave it out and not bother it and see what happens, there does not seem to be any pain? Is this something that will go away on its own?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

this sounds like an umbilical hernia.

this will not go away on its own.

there is a weakness in the abdomen lining and your bowels are pushing their way out.

you will need surgery at some point to fix this hernia.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You sure, I thought that only happens to individuals with a weak stomach lining, I have a six pack and my stomach is quit strong

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you need a doctors exam to know for sure.

but it sure sounds like an abdominal hernia.

even if you have a strong abdomen, you can still develop an umbilical hernia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I thought people who have weak stomachs only get that, I have a six pack?

Can I still go to the gym?

How long do I have?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you can still go to the gym.

you don't need surgery as long as the hernia is not painful

hernia surgery is only an emergency when the bowel gets trapped and can't get blood flow.

but if it is a hernia, it will slowly enlarge with time.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.