Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My son is a U.S. citizen currently in Romania. He is 29. He

My son is a U.S. citizen currently in Romania. He is 29. He has been sick with a low-grade fever and a sore throat for a few days. Since they have socialized medicine there, people go to the hospital when they are sick, not so many general practitioners. He went to the hospital and they gave him a prescription for Azitromicina-Sandoz (med name: Azitromicina, 500 mg). He is reluctant to take anything without confirming what it is. The internet says, "Azitromicina is the Mexican brand name for the antibiotic Azithromycin". Our doctor's office is closed now, and since he has been over there for 2 years without being to the doctor here, I don't think they will talk to me. My son is worried about an allergic reaction. The last he took antibiotic was when he was a kid and took Erythromycin. Is it safe to say that if he took one he can take the other, or are they completely different? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details. How high is his fever? Since how long exactly he has this problem? Did he get any reaction with erythromycin? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is experiencing a low-grade fever, about 99.5, on and off. It comes and goes. The dr. there says his throat is red, but lungs apparently sound clear. This has been going on for about 5 days. He took erythromycin as a kid, with no problem, bubblegum flavored/pink liquid they give all the kids. Thanks, Robin

Matthew thanks a lot for your input. I am myself an ear, nose and throat specialist so can help you. I am sorry to hear about your son. If he took erythromycin as a kid and didn't get a reaction then he is unlikely to get any reaction from azithromycin because both belongs to the same class of antibiotics. I suggest him to take azithromycin because he doesn't have a known hypersensitivity to this drug and it's very commonly advised for throat infection and generally it is considered safe. Moreover i have few suggestions for him that he should do warm water gargles with salt in it and he should take OTC tab paracetamol, two tablets thrice daily. In two to three days, he will be ok. I wish him good luck that he gets well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The medicine they gave him, the spelling is different from what you mention above. There is no "h", it is called "Azitromicina." Is this the same as Azithromycin?

Hi, Yes they both are same drugs. The difference in spelling is due to difference in language. The main ingredient is same. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.