Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I am on a cpap at night. I am very faithful have very good

I am on a cpap at night. I am very faithful have very good results. About two months ago out of the blue my nurse practioner wanted me to use an oxemeter for a night which I did. she is just sure I need to incorporate this into my cpap at night. I don't think I need it..she is being really pushy about this. I have never talked with a doc in the clinic she works and she claims he would tell me the same thing. I had my results sent to me by a company called "BREATH". I travel all the time....I don't know how I would handle this with all the flying I do. It is making me a nervous wreck. Do you think I need to have another oxemeter test done? I am 65 years old and am in good health otherwise.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, I will leave you an answer. Please get back to me when you come online

neuromd2012 :

I am a Neurologist as well as an Internist

neuromd2012 :

and I am in agreement with you

neuromd2012 :

O2 sat levels are just one indicator of sleep disordered breathing

neuromd2012 :

apnea periods are very important and so is sleep fragmentation levels

neuromd2012 :

you can have a hypopnea index as being very high, without relevant changes in O2 sat, and still have a problem

neuromd2012 :

so it would depend on your polysomnogram record

neuromd2012 :

you also can have a low hypopnea index with marked O2 sat levels

neuromd2012 :

so I would ask you how you feel?

neuromd2012 :

and if you feel better with the CPAP as it is, that is probably sufficient

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, please get back to me with questions, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank t

Customer:

Good most of the time..this makes me very anxious thinking I may be 02 for the rest of my life. I guess traveling with it is the hardest part for me to accept with only one little measly test. Do you think I should retake this test?

Customer:

I did not have confindence in an overly confidant nurse practioner either!

Customer:

Getting old is for the birds.

Customer:

I can talk about the polysomnogram record if you will ever get back on line!

Customer:

Where are you?

If you feel ok with your present settings, I am not sure you need another PSG, but I certainly would get one to show the above, that your desats relate to a disordered sleep parameter analysis, and your hypopnea index is not the reason, before I would go with using oxygen as a supplement. Tell your doc about your concerns of travel with oxygen, etc. Dr Frank T
HI. I am here online. the software is broken,, maybe you cannot see my posts??? Dr Frank T
I am sorry the chat was not working. This is a software problem. I will send this to customer service, maybe they can contact you . When you come back, we can discuss your last PSG, ok? Dr Frank T