Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

hello, Can you tell me what the procedure is for colorectal

hello,

Can you tell me what the procedure is for colorectal surgery? My dad has been booked to have this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

For which disease he has booked you for a colo rectal surgery?

Customer:

we do not know as of yet; he had a small bleed in his back passage, then he went to see the doctor and she referred him to the hospital and it was too painful to check him out, so they have booked him for this procedure

DR HASAN :

Are you sure that he booked him for surgery or just a colonoscopy?

DR HASAN :

Is your dad with you right now?

Customer:

the letter says colorectal surgery and yes he is with me now

DR HASAN :

Since how long he was having the symptoms?

DR HASAN :

Was he passing blood with stool?

Customer:

he had pain for one day and passed a small amount of blood once upon wiping

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

Well as per symptoms he must be having hemorrhoid or a fissure or there might be some polyp etc.

DR HASAN :

Colorectal surgery is a broad term.

DR HASAN :

It covers many types of surgical procedures done for colon and rectum.

Customer:

ok, whats the procedure for this op?

DR HASAN :

It depends that what disease the doctor is dealing with.

DR HASAN :

Usually it is done under general anesthesia.

DR HASAN :

If there is a hemorrhoid, the doctor will assess the hemorrhoid from the anal canal and will remove the hemorrhoid.

Customer:

at the moment we do not know of any diseases only what i have told you? they gave him suppositories

DR HASAN :

I guess he must be having a fissure or hemorrhoid.

DR HASAN :

Suppositories are basically to remove the feces from colon to prevent infection.

DR HASAN :

If surgery is done to remove hemorrhoid then incision is given in tissue around hemorrhoid and bleeding vessel is closed and hemorrhoid is removed.

DR HASAN :

If it is done for anal sphincter then sphincter of anal muscle is incised and resultant increase in blood supply helps in healing.

DR HASAN :

The surgery in post operative period needs lots of care because operated area is a contaminated one.

DR HASAN :

For that sitz bath in which patients sit in a tub filled with water and antiseptic solution to keep the wound clean.

DR HASAN :

Patient has to be on stool softeners to avoid constipation.

DR HASAN :

Antibiotics are required too.

DR HASAN :

In 2 weeks time, the patients gets well.

DR HASAN :

But care is very necessary.

DR HASAN :

Read my answer above and please get back to me, if you need any further info.

Customer:

okay thank you

DR HASAN :

Do you have any question?

DR HASAN :

Please wish your dad best of luck on my behalf.

Customer:

he is not feeling them at this moment and he is passing normal stools' so where have they gone?

Customer:

he does pass alot of wind though

DR HASAN :

There might be a lesion still present inside but sometime certain things like constipation aggravates the problem.

DR HASAN :

The symptoms in such cases can come and go.

DR HASAN :

As we don't know the exact diagnosis, we cannot be sure that what is their plan.

DR HASAN :

but nothing sounds serious because of short duration of history.

Customer:

what about the amount od wind being passed

DR HASAN :

Well that can be due to a bacterial infection or can be associated with the disease process like polyp etc.

DR HASAN :

Passing wind more than usual is symptom in most of colon problems.

DR HASAN :

Once the disease is treated, it will go away.

Customer:

ok thanks...

Customer:

ah ok thanks

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome and thank you for contacting me.

Customer:

ok thanks doc my dad says thanks too

DR HASAN :

He is most welcome. I wish him good luck that he gets well soon. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Miri, i am sorry, i was not getting any response from your side in chat, do you have any further question, if so, please feel free, i am here for you. Regards