DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I am starting to do juicing and especially kale and spanich.

Customer Question

I am starting to do juicing and especially kale and spanich. I have recently read articles that have said that these veggies, especially the kale are not good for someone like me who has hypothroidism. I this true and what other veggies should I not be juicing. I take synthroid .12 each day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abid :

Hi there. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.

Customer :

Are you there?

Dr. Abid :

Ok so you are hypothyroid and want to know which vegetables are goitrogens....

Customer :

I want to know what green leafy veggies I can juice

Customer :

I feel exhausted all the time and maybe its because the juice if interfering with my medication Synthroid .12 each day

Customer :

Are you an endochronoligst? That is who I want to talk with .. not a general internist.

Dr. Abid :

As you are hypothyroid so certain vegetables (Green leafy vegetables) suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid.Among vegetables like

Dr. Abid :

cabbage,spinach,cauliflower ,kale ,cannola

Dr. Abid :

Bok choy ,brocolli,collard green...

Dr. Abid :

Radishes,turnip...

Dr. Abid :

Tatsoi,mustard green....

Dr. Abid :

And many other are goitrogens.....

Dr. Abid :

So if patient is already hypothyroid than these vegetables can further effect thyroid hormone synthesis.

Dr. Abid :

As far as your exhastion,tirdness is concerned it is because of low thyroid hormone levels.

Dr. Abid :

And maintaing normal T3 and T4 levels is the only source and way to overcome this problem.

Customer :

I just had a checkup in April at the VA and my doctor said all my levels were ok

Dr. Abid :

Second I will suggest you to get your Vitamin B12 levels because often associated low levels of Vitamin B12 can be the reason of exhaustion.

Customer :

So are you saying I cannot juice any green veggies?

Dr. Abid :

You should use fresh fruit juices , and after consulting your dr add Vitamin pills ,yes you should not juice any green veggies as most of them are goitrogens.

Customer :

I guess I am out of luck trying to eat a healthy diet

Dr. Abid :

You can use fruits ,fruit juices , fruit shakes all are very healthy items.

Customer :

Ok ... I'm done here.

Dr. Abid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX you good health.Please leave positive feedback for me.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks and good luck.

Dr. Abid :

If you have more questions please ask...

Customer :

I am not interested in fruit ... veggies is my interest

Customer :

No green veggies is not healthy eathing period !!

Dr. Abid :

In your case vegetables as I mentioned can further deteriorate your condition.

Dr. Abid :

Its the fact that I mentioned and you rated my service poor.

Customer :

You mentioned nothing or asked about my medication or said anything about supplements, such as Iodine or Iodid

Dr. Abid :

You already mentioned in your question about Synthyroid....

Customer :

Perhaps you only answer specific questions and do not offer advice

Dr. Abid :

Your question was specific for vegetables and hypothyroidism.

Customer :

Patients are usually ignorant, that is why we come to you.

Dr. Abid :

Ok,if you want to ask more please tell me...

Customer :

Never mind ... this is going nowhere. Have a good day.

Dr. Abid :

Wish you good health.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Hello from ja

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. Endocrinology is our sub specialty and I have advanced training in hormone treatment. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

There is no reason that you can not have just about any vegetable when you are being treated for hypothyrodism. [Within reason].

The cruciferous family does suppress thyroid function, but as long as your diet is consistent and your synthroid dose is optimized this is not a problem.

Simply do not overdue it. And, other green veggies are fine and do not have this effect.

In fact if you denied yourself cruciferous veggies completely, you would be foregoing an important detox veggie important in phase 2 liver detoxification pathways, so do not do this.

Synthroid is generally not affected as to absorption by these foods, as it might be with excess calcium supplements. If you take your medicine first think in the morning, even this is not a problem..

IN fact, T3 and T4 are not how this is monitored, and you need to see what your TSH is.....your symptoms indicated that you are undertreated on your synthroid, and TSH should generally be optimized at between .5 and 1 for most treated patients, not simply left in a high normal range, which can leave you feeling tired.

As long as you do not overdue it on the veggies, they are all OK.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.