Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

my boyfriend has waxey ear and has had problems with ear plugs

my boyfriend has waxey ear and has had problems with ear plugs before, we are going on a week or better that he has been plugged up, cant hear and is now getting a cold we have tried the ear candle things I'm sorry cant remember the name the ones u lite on fire while holding in ur ear we have done 4 of them, and we really are trying to avoid the bill of going to the emergency room. But his ear is bleeding alittle bit dont know if its from a scab or ? Worried extrememly I'm hoping u can help with something to do around our home to help him or should I just get him to the emergency room??/
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you see my message?

Customer:

yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

wax in the initial stages can often be treated at home

Dr. P Jyoti :

but not when he is having bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

since he is having bleeding, you have to go to the ER i am afraid

Customer:

We have tried the ear candles and he kinda of has a history of ear plug problems

Dr. P Jyoti :

the bleeding suggests he has had an injury and needs to be examined for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

injury to the canal of the ear can lead to infection which can be very painful

Customer:

well he thinks it was from scab its not bad bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

hence he should be examined as soon as possible in the ER

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, its probably some scab which has become dislodged

Customer:

do u think thats what is causing the cold as well

Dr. P Jyoti :

but this itself requires an ER visit

Customer:

i thank u very much

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

going to the ER is the only option for him now with this bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

otherwise there can only be more complications leading to more expenses in the future

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Customer:

he argues that we cant afford it is there anything we can do at home?

Customer:

will they pull the plug at the ER when we go in??

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes thats right

Dr. P Jyoti :

they can remove the plug

Dr. P Jyoti :

but the main thing is that they can examine the cause of the bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

and if there is active sore, they can even prescribe antibiotics if needed

Dr. P Jyoti :

for home treatment, you can use hydrogen peroxide solution

Dr. P Jyoti :

it has to be diluted adequately for this

Customer:

with water

Dr. P Jyoti :

use hydrogen gurgle and dilute it one is to three

Dr. P Jyoti :

with water, yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

dilute one is to three or two

Dr. P Jyoti :

you can try this if at all you do not want to go to the ER

Dr. P Jyoti :

but best option is to go to the ER

Dr. P Jyoti :

but try this first if you should wish to

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer:

force flush it just drain it in slowly

Dr. P Jyoti :

drain it slowly

Dr. P Jyoti :

that can often help

Dr. P Jyoti :

but if there is any increase of pain, etc you need to go to the ER

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer:

no pain just cant hear from it

Dr. P Jyoti :

ok you can try this for now

Dr. P Jyoti :

Customer:

why dilute

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.