Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Bizarre question: What happens if semen containing live, active

Bizarre question: What happens if semen containing live, active sperm goes into the human eye? Aren't sperm capable of penetrating certain cell membranes?

Also, if hand soap or shampoo contains the chemical triclosan, would that be particularly hazardous to the eyes? I understand triclosan is an eye hazard.

Sorry if this is 2 questions. Please let me know if I should pay twice for these two questions instead of paying only once for both combined.

No, sperms are capable of penetrating only the cell membrane of the egg, where there are active mechanisms to receive the sperm. So the sperm wont penetrate any membrane in the eye and will just be washed out by the tears.

But STD may be transmitted from the semen if it falls into the eye.

Second question: Yes, triclosan is an eye hazard and if it gets into the eye it will cause burning. The amount in soaps and shampoos though is not enough to cause any big damage.

Giving bonus is at your discretion for two questions.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is triclosan eye damage reversible? How hazardous is it exactly as an eye hazard - slight, moderate, severe?

Triclosan eye damage is reversible and it is a mild hazard.

It can cause eye irritation, but there is no evidence of it causing anything more than this in the eye.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.